Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CRACK!! Goes the snare drum....

gawkmanhotmail.com

We're going to be going into the studio soon, and our drummer plans to get a new snare that just sings when you hit rimshots. I've heard that kevlar heads do the trick, but what kind of snare? Orange County? DW? The snare sound we are going to try to achieve is somewhere between the Chili Pepper's snare, Soulfly's, Sepultura's, and 311's. We want people that hear to picture someone just beating the living piss out of the snare drum.

Suggestions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If my memory serves me ... most drum manufactures wave their warranty when someone uses a kevlar drumhead. They've been known to collapse drums into a little ball.

Just a thought and a little caution for you ... for what it's worth.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Try any good drum with a thin (ambassador or equivalent) head. Hell, even most less-than-top-of-the-line drums will sound good with an ambassador. If you want the most sound out of the drum, a thin head is a must. While a thin head may not be the best for a heavy hitter in a live situation, they work beautifully in a studio.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Slap on an Evans Power Center(single ply, dot in the center, top or bottom) and crank the drum. Use a metal shell and just make sure to do rimshots on EVERY note of back beat! Don't add muffling, and unless you plan on playing in a drumcorps or marching in your local parades, don't buy kevlar. ALthough, they do come in handy as a practice head!

Archived