Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electric: Piano...Guitar...Violin......Hand Drum?

Tusker

Just thinking out aloud. The electrification process has enabled many instruments to get a whole new personality...... guitar, piano, violin, etc.

It seems to be useful to electrify instruments which have good potential for tonal control and nuance, but may be limited by poor dynamic or tonal range.

Seems to me that hand drums (tablas, bongos, djun dhuns, etc.) would be good candidates. The technical requirement appears to be a a resonating surface that is capable of exciting a magnetic field.

With the greater popularity of break beats (jungle etc.) and world influences, I would think that complex, higher pitched percussion parts would be well received in popular music.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight or knowledge of attempts in this area.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many varieties of electronics for those types of sounds. They've been around for years. You should check out one of Mickey Hart's albums.

Have to say, there's nothing better than when the drummer and percussionist lock in. I love the sound of a good acoustic conga drum.

I agree, there's nothing more inspiring than playing along with a slammin' percussion player. Like playing with a great bass player, you can lock into a groove, play around with the space, create subtle interpretations of the rhythmic structure....

I took tabla lessons for a while in India a few years ago. I had dreams not of being the next Zakir Hussain, but of at least being a competent player. Alas, tabla is probably the hardest instrument in the world to master, and I gave up shortly after returning home. It's also one of the most difficult instruments to mic and sound good in a live setting. Lots of ethnic percussion is this way, which is why you see/hear it sampled so much, both live and in the studio.

Look into Emu's Planet Earth. It's getting excellent reviews and Guitar Center's got em on sale:

http://www.emu.com/products/planetearth/planetearth.html

Just for the record.

My specific question is whether there is a hand drum out there that has been 'electrified'. (i.e. using electro-magnetic methods similar to an electric guitar.) Also where can I find out more, if so.

I am NOT referring to midi or electronic devices like the HPD15, the Zendrum or the Drumitar used by the Flecktones.

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Archived