Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lets Do Laundry Reach for the sky

serpico3

Hey Fellow Drummers , Check out this months issue of Modern Drummer

with Drummer Travis Barker page 65 & 67 Check out how high his HI HAT is , Man I know different strokes for different folks but this is rediculous , also another pet pive of mine check out his Bass Drum , Nothing flaborgast me more than seeing a beautiful set of drums an some clod throwing in sheets , blankets, inside their bass Drum Check out Ebay sometime see the pictures of sets for sale Man they look like a stuffed Drier at a laudrimat , Plus This guy , Here he has two port holes cut in his Front head yet he throws in a blanket or whatever , I instruct my students that height , level or your Hi Hat an position is everything to do with your perfecting your technique, I also show them as I do with my Hi Hat is the Extention Rod excess , you know the part after your clutch , I cut mine to leave no more than exposed 2 inches leaving the exposed rod 6 or 10 inches not only hampers your movement for moving your sticks around your kit, to also believe it or not after playing alot of gigs that excess only is added weight, it's easy enough to cut off with a Hack saw then grind the top with a grinding wheel an brush it comes out beautiful, it' looks cleaner plus it makes your accessability to move around your kit much easier ,Now curiousity got me this time so I went out and purchased a Blink-182 CD , I've never gone this far but I am now this Guy sucks , Man he has no chops , no technique , Hes a Basher thats all, So that probably describes why this clod Has his Hi Hat up so high and I'm discussed with these artcles on these so called drummers , Read the Article , Man if you believe what you read and trust in the author of this article you'd come away with the idea that this guy really cooks and has great techique and is versitle and inventive Right , Then go out and hear this guy in this Group , Man whoever wrote this article was either paid off or he heard some one different from whom I heard, So back to stuffing Bass drums with all this crap , like the early 70,s when Drummers then either pull off the front head or put a pillow in their Bass Drum , I never did either, Didn't have to , when you learn to tune your kit as you want , Thats the Key learning how to tune properly,Away I hope you get my drift.....serpico3

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh boy...its gonna take alot for me to try and not insult you. travis is an all around good drummer. granted not the best but he is very good. ive seen him play live and he blew me away. his high hats are not usually that high (i havent seen the pics yet by the way). and i guess putting a pillow or blankets and whatnot is a personal choice. maybe his drums sound like pure hell without them. i know my old set used to sound like shit without them. travis is also a drum teacher so i guess he has to know some good stuff if hes out teaching kids. any drummer would know that to teach drums you have to know your stuff. sorry if i came off rude or anything but do you even know anything about this guy?

-duckafrummer

Well, I've never really listened to Blink or Travis, so I can't judge in that department. I do know a lot of people wax on endlessly about how good he is though. So someone must like his chops.

As far as teaching goes, though, that's another matter. There's no real criteria, credentials or certifications for teaching musical instruments, as there are for school or college teachers. IMHO, just because Travis or anyone else teaches an instrument doesn't automatically mean they're any good at it at all. In fact, I've heard some teachers out playing live gigs and thought "Jeez this guy teaches people? HE needs lessons, himself! LOTS of lessons!" And not just on drums. So how'd HE get to be a teacher? 'Cause he says he is and someone's paying him to teach them or their child.

Don't get me wrong, I took lessons for years, from a great teacher who was also a fabulous musician. He played 10 instruments, in fact. Well. So, he could not only 'say', he could 'DO'. So I wholeheartedly agree and endorse the teachers and the value they can add to your musical life. But the important thing is to find a GOOD teacher. Not just anyone can teach. In fact, just because someone is an amazing musician doesn't mean they can teach, either. There are skills required way beyond just knowing the instrument well, or being able to play chops. A great teacher has great communications skill, wonderful people skills. And those can't be acquired through any amount of work on any instrument. A great teacher has to understand human nature, has to understand moods and personalities, and has to understand how to get through to the student. To make the student excited about the instrument and WANT to learn.

Sure, the student has to be self-motivated, blah, blah, blah. But a good teacher can help create and encourage that self motivation. And could and should fuel the students desire to push well beyond the "lesson of the week", IMHO. And teachers like that are HARD to find. Rare. But if ya do find one with those skills, they're worth their weight in gold.

Just my thoughts.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

There is a show element there...that's all. The more ridiculous looking the set up, the more eyecatching and extreme movements are involved.

Plus there is the element of playing to the music...blink 182 is a pop rock band. One has to remember the target audience and substitute a staight 8th fill instead of an inverted diddle. That is probably why they got a record deal in the first place. It's all about money these days.

Ok, with only 4 years of expierience behind a set, I probably couldn't tell the difference between a good and a bad drummer, because I do think Travis Barker is a good drummer. I don't know why I think that way, but I just do. I have no clue if he has good technique or not, maybe I haven't developed that sense yet, and I don't know how good his chops are, although, man, he can play some pretty darn fast songs. I'm not sure if it was in August's Modern Drummer, but in the interview with him, he said he plays 2-3 hour sets at 220+ bpm, and speeds up most songs in concert. I can bearly even reach 220 just playing some normal, easy beats, let alone keep it. Maybe you just have to have a taste for the music, which I do. Blink 182 is actually pretty cool, and their music is is not bad at all if you can ignore the cussing. Sorry, I'm not sure why I wrote this, maybe I was just bored ;-)

I used to have a cartoon hanging above my computer. Two frames, about drum auditions.

In the first frame, a drummer is playing smokin' stuff, lots of notes etc. etc. The guy holding the auditions says, "Man, that's amazing! You're an incredible drummer!"

In the second frame a drummer is playing straight time, nothing more than a quarter-note on the battery percussion. The guy holding the auditions says, "You're hired."

I wonder what Serpico might think of Bernard Purdie, one of my all-time favorite drummers, but one who couldn't play a double stroke to save his life.

Archived