Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Center Drum Off 2001...

DerekDrums

Actually, what I do for the ending is I do this thing where I slow it down off of the jazz groove and go into this fusion thing where I hit 3 cymbals (separatley) and do these little fillers in between, like a little roll pattern, then a fast fill around the toms, then an off beat thing (but still keeping the beat with my foot, so it won't sound like I messed up), and then a four stroke roll, and I go into a giant ending, the one where you're double bassing as fast as you can, while rolling on cymbals, and then you do a fill, hit the snare a few times, pause, and then do a big final hit on the cymbals with the bass drum and choke the cymbals really quick. I can't exactly describe it, but it's used alot for endings, I've heard it done many times, it's a nice big ending that allows me to use bass speed and fill speed, and so that may work out for what you mean, is that kind of what you have as an idea for a finale? Thanks for the input!

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, also, besides keeping a good solid groove, what would you consider to be most technically impressive to the judges, as far as rudiments? I have incorporated some rudiments in there, like single stroke rolls(of course), four stroke rolls, and hertas. Though I'm not too up to date with the rudiment scene, because I've never taken lessons or anything, but I'm learning them. I just found out that I've been playing a herta for a long time not knowing it. Does anyone know what this is called - http://www.thepercussionist.com/community/derekdrums/tripletpattern.mid - I've always called it a three stroke roll, but there is no such thing, except for a triple stroke roll, which has nothing to do with what I'm playing. The pattern I play is in 3/4 but I use in 4/4 doing "cymbal®,snare(L),snare®,cymbal(L),snare®,snare(L)". What is this? Just a triplet pattern? Or is there a special name for it? There are other rudiments I know that I can't incorporate in the solo really, like Eggbeaters (RRRLL RRRLL RRRLL) or paradiddles, which I could incorporate, but they wouldn't be able to tell I was doing one unless I did the pattern with both hands on different toms. And there any rudiments in particular that you would consider to be impressive, or that most importantly, the judges would consider impressive? I mean any, not just the ones up there. A friend of mine got 3rd in regionals once before just by doing an improv solo with alot of odd time signatures and alot of hertas, so judges do look for technicality in playing. Any suggestions for something (rudimental or other) I might want to consider learning or using? Thanks again for everyone's help,

Derek

Derek, the only real technical thing they'll be listening for is the sound that comes from your drum set. Whatever sticking you do best is going to be the sticking you should choose. Paradiddles are cool because you can get around the drum set in ways that are not obvious by trying to single stroke everything. They break up static patterns. I consider them part of the creative process, but not the technical process.

Although ... some judges might be listening to see if you are one-side dominated. For example, if all of your right-foot patterns match your right-hand patterns. But it sounds like you are far beyond this problem, so don't worry about it.

I just tried using paradiddles around the kit, I guess they can be used for toms, I'm going to throw some in there! I went to Guitar Center yesterday(Saturday), and I signed up and everything. I'm heading back down to Indy on Tuesday, October 2nd at 7PM to participate. I can't wait! I spent the 5 hour round trip drive doing rudimental excercises. I can't wait till I actually compete in it, it's going to be great! I'm going to be tweaking my solo for the next month and a half until I'm completely satisfied with it, and thanks again for everyone's help. Whether I even get past the first preliminary or not, this is going to be a good experience.

Derek

Archived