Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your personal drumkit evolution

sidereal

I'm interested how everyone's drumsets have evolved over the years. I think I may be about ready to get a new maple kit to suplement my birch one, so I'm thinking about the next thing.

But I'm interested in how your kits have evolved over time. For me, in order....

CB-700

Pearl Export (stolen!)

Tama Rockstar Pro

Current: Premier Genista

Just for the record.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, for me, starting with my first 4 pc. in 1961:

Ludwig

Slingerland

Tama (I think Imperialstars)

Pearl (I believe Sessions), and again...

Current: Pearl Exports

Well, at least that's all the one's I really remember, LOL! All of them had / have been well used, with minimal maintenance, and have lasted many, many years.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

Side, we have definately been sharing a brain. %)

I stated in another thread my second set was a Pearl Forum, but I'm thinking back and it was definately an Export, which redefined "low-end." Here's my list:

CB-700: Got it for Christmas in 1985. Parents paid $500 for it. I sold it for $300 in 1987 to pay off a $150 speeding ticket. I couldn't play fast back then, but I could definately drive fast.

Pearl Export: Bought it for $450 off the store room floor, and I don't think it was exactly how they sell them from the catalogue. Might've had some mixed stuff from other sets, but not being a big Pearl guy, I still don't know. Man, did I ever overpay. Had these enormous shells. For a five piece, it was like having three floor toms. Kept it around for no good reason, until I gave it to one my students. I think he still has it.

Tama Imperialstar: Paid $800 used, but bought it primarily because it came with a squadron of Zildjian cymbals. Probably the only time I've ever received a bargain while buying an instrument. The set was OK, and I think it was one of Tama's mid-range sets. Still, the hardware failed me several times -- I actually cracked a rim once, and I am not a hard hitter. Also gave this kit to a student of mine.

Sonor Performer: Having broken into the local scene, I needed a good set, and a studio engineer I knew raved about Sonor. Well, Sonors were the most expensive sets back then, and I couldn't afford them. I walked into a small shop one day and discovered they were going out of business. They had this entry-level Sonor going to $2,600! They were in a tight spot, and I finally negotiated them down to $600 cash. In hindsight, I should've kept my money, as Sonor is the *last* kit any working drummer should ever buy. It weighed slightly more than my car. Even worse, there was something structurally wrong with the 13" tom, rendering it useless in the studio; it produced a flat tone and lots of buzz, no matter what head I put on there. To this day, I am intensely skeptical about the hype of German engineering. I gave it to my church, and they are still using it today, and still trying to get a better sound out of that 13" tom.

Yamaha Rock Touring Custom: This was a great kit. I swear, I set the angles of my toms once, and they locked in the same place for the two years I owned the kit. They sounded great no matter what heads I put on them. I wish I still had that kit.

Recently I purchased a Yamaha Stage Custom to solve my immediate needs, and I understand they are now out of production. I don't understand, because this is a very good kit for the price I paid ($450). Apparently Yamaha is splitting the line in two directions, and not neccesarily for the better. I think I'm going to keep this kit. I really like it.

I'm also going to purchase a Beech Custom this fall. After hearing my buddy play one in a small stage setting, I'm sold. Been saving up ever since.

freebie matador kit-held snare drum in lap, Krut cymbal and one tom, no studs in kick

freebie dixie kit-blue sparkle, friend made me give it back/he's still a dick

tama swingstar #1

swingstar #2

ludwig classics featuring two 26" kicks and 20" floor-rolls would sound like moving furniture

dw's featuring one 20" kick (the road warrior)

yamaha club custom featuring midnight sparkle finish

sonor force 3000-solid birch

roland V-Custom- you know what they are

I started with a Remo Quandura, and eventually got a Huge Tama Arstar Custom Kit, the whole power size 9 piece deal. I hardly even play "rock" now, much less metal! However, these are damn good drums. I get great sounds out of every one of these drums. People always love my kick drum. The 10" is like a cannon! The only thing is that these power-sizes make it hard to "sneak" drums in close, and the drums are simply heavy. But they sound beautiful.

Archived