Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pearl or Tama??

N3O

Im gonna get my first drumset soon. I have a choice of either the Pearl Forum FX725C (w HH and 18" Ride/Crash) or the Tama Swingstar SW522D (w HH and 18" Ride/Crash set. Which should i buy? Im new in the drumming business, so I could really use your help. Thanx.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My own personal experience says there is no difference between low-end Pearl or Tama. Neither provide great hardware for any of their kits, IMO. The advantage of Pearl, it seems to me, is the ability to buy a mid-range kit that sounds like a high-end kit, as their sizes lean toward the fusion end of things. Tama used to be an industry leader, but I'm unclear as to what they think they do best these days.

Pearl or Tama don't make the worst low-end kits, and if that is truly your only option, pick one and stick some good heads on them. I think you might be tad better by saving a little more money and looking at the low-end Yamaha kits or a Pacific (my own personal choice for the price range).

My first kit was a CB-700. My second kit was a Pearl Forum. By third kit was a used Tama Imperialstar. My fourth kit was a low-end Sonor. I was never happy with any of them (particularly the Sonor, which was unusually heavy and the 13" tom was useless). I wasn't happy until I landed my first Yamaha, and I am still regretting the day I sold them to go into real estate. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

MD says Tama, by a long shot. Check out an issue last year i think. They reviewed a bunch of low-end kits. They said that the Tama was the overall winner. If you do get pearl, try to get the Export, or even the Export select. With good heads and good tuning, this kits can all sound suprisingly good!!

I think im gonna get the Tama Swingstar set. It's slightly more expensive then the pearl forum. However, one thing i noticed is that the tama's hardware is single braced, wherelse the pearl is double. So, im still having doubts... And please dont ask me to get anything above this low-end ones, I really dont have the cash to buy a better set. Thanx.

N3O,

LOL, IMHO ANY drummer that doesn't understand "...I really don't have the cash ..." probably hasn't been a drummer very long! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I just went through this same type of selection process a several months ago myself, as I just returned to drumming after about 16 years. I now currently own Pearl Exports, but as I've previously owned other kits (as many of us have) including Tama, I really wanted to do some comparison shopping, as I had NO particular brand loyalty in mind when I started.

Although I have not read the Modern Drummer article that rlhubley mentions, I did try to do what research I could. So many choices today. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Although my budget may have been a bit more open than yours currently is, I finally settled on the Exports, even over the Forums, for a couple of reasons.

*I liked the sound just fine.

*Exports had a bit broader selection of stock sizes, as I knew I'd probably be expanding the set (LOL, I have).

*I'd previous owned a set of Pearl everything (Pearl drums, ONLY Pearl hardware, ONLY Zildjian cymbals. I USED to think that way) and never had a moments trouble.

*Pearl has an excellent customer service reputation if you DO have a problem.

*Very good value.

*LOL, my fiancee liked the color! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif Keep 'em happy, and they don't yell at ya! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Since, I've had quite a few compliments on their sound, both in and out of the studio. So I'm quite happy with the choice.

I'm NOT telling you that you should pick Exports, just giving you the reasons I did. I weighed my choices (including kits that are several times the price) and ended up with what I have now.

Personally, from my own research, I think the Forums and Swingstars are very similar, except hardware as you noted. But remember, that can always be changed, even one piece at a time if your budget remains tight.

Picking between the two, you might want to consider future expandability, if you do plan to ever add on. Also consider color, 'cause IMHO, it's more fun and makes ya feel more upbeat when you're playing something thay you think looks cool.

And what IS important, again IMHO, is NOT WHICH drumset you choose, but that ya get on 'em and ROCK. Whether Rocking for you is Jazz, Fusion, Blues, Country, Rap, Punk or Rock. My personal experience so far has shown me that even an 'entry level' kit can sound good enough to garner attention and compliments from both fellow musicians and non-musicians alike. Remember, it's NOT the drums, it's the DRUMMER.

Just my thoughts.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

Thanx for the advise ModernDrummer. Im really clueless now, im getting so many MIX sugestions i dont know which to choose. Pearl forum has the best value for money, its $RM700 (thats US$184) cheaper than the swingstar and has "better" hardware. I guess its all up to the sound. BTW, what cymbals does the standard Tama Swingstar comes with?? Any idea??

Archived