Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Have you heard the Lillywhite Sessions?

sidereal

It's a tragedy that this amazing piece of music got thrown into the trash can. This is the Dave Matthews Band album that was completed and then dumped, at which point they went to LA and made a brand new album, the one in the stores now.

But the Lillywhite Sessions are available on the internet. The entire album. There's this song "JTR" that is completely amazing, vintage Carter... whacking away at everything and GROOVING. There's nothing like that on the released album. All the songs are fucking great. The 10+ minute "Bartender." Total jam stuff. It's dark, which is apparently why dave trashed it. But It's sad to see such a great work go unheard. Find it if you can.

Just for the record.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhhh! A fellow Dave fan! Anyone that knows me from other boards knows I am obsessed with Carter(anyone who has heard my mp3s or seen my kit pictures knows that). I saw them playing Sweet Up & Down and JTR and Bartender live last July, it was like the 3rd time they had played SU&D I think. It was great seeing DMB live, an experience that literally changed my view on drumming and how I play today. I'm now a giant Dave fan, but they aren't coming to Indiana this year due to scheduling problems. BUT, they will be playing here next year. They never should have scrapped the Lillywhites, if I hear The Space Between or I Did It ever again, I will jump through a window. I heard When The World Ends is the next single, which is one of only a few songs that I like on that cd. The Lillywhites are great though, they play BEF and they keep teasing Captain, so I'm happy. I just wish they would stop playing Sleep To Dream Her...

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutly genuis through and through.

Such a "mood" CD. Dave was severely depressed and an alcoholic during the writing of the CD. This CD to me is a gateway to his mind. Songs like bartender and grace is gone speak of drinking problems away. Big eyed fish's lyrics are disturbingly depressed. Mmm I love that CD

-Dave

I'd love to hear these sessions. I have the new album and am dissapointed. I don't care for this new "radio-friendly" format they have switched to. The jams on the other albums are one of the many things that kept them apart from other popular music. It's like they caged Carter!

Archived