Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

triggering v-drums

td-devi

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks felix. i've been triggering for years. i am considering the v-drum brain but i want to be sure that it will trigger from acoustic drums. i know it will definately work . but how well is my real concern. is the design of the interface between the v-pads and the actual sound something that is really designed for those special pads? -tom

I think the issue for you is what kind of triggers you will be putting on your drums. The more sensetive trigger will give you a higher velocity range similar to the v-drum pads. I've tried pin-tech's "most afordable" drum trigger(rs-5) which works in the studio(because you can edit out all the mis-triggers and change the velocity if you need to. I wouldn't use it live though.). I know that pin-tech also makes a better model that mounts to the rim, and 'barely' touches the head.

Are you planning to use the set up for live shows or in the studio?

good luck and keep us posted

j

jamoflage,

my application is strictly studio. i want the versatility of all those bass drum sounds. and some of the sounds to mix in with the real snare. i think my real drums are superior. its just so easy to use sampled kick drum . to get a nice organic acoustic kick drum sound is one thing. but trying to go for more exotic and or proccessed sounding kicks requires a great deal of gear (imho). so i feel a nice marriage between the v-drums and my real kit will be the bomb.Anyone care to add thier 2 cents?

Oh, and getting back to my original post. I want the triggering to be done live, while i'm playing. i know i could do it later but its much more musical and convenient to do it live. that's why i want the triggers to work seamlessly (if its even possible).If the v-drums trigger from real drums as well as they do from the pads, i feel that they will be the way to go. thanks for your response -tom

i use the roland td10 to trigger sounds from my akai s6000 sampler.

i use ddrum triggers on my kik and snare for layering.

mixed in together i get some fantasticly thumpalicious sounds.

i also trigger str8 sounds from the td10's own sound set from mounted pads.

don't use them in the studio though.

ATOMIX! :evil:

http://www.abc.net.au/common/logos/whtblkgrn.gif

deepness, so the td-10 triggers well with your akai(i also own an s-3000). i was using the old yamaha dts-70 to trigger but i want something faster and more accurate. do you think the td-10 is the way to go? thanks-tom

I have tried many different triggers and modules, and as far as triggereing acoustic drums...i found that Ddrum triggers and Ddrum4 brain works best.

If you choose one of the other modules like DTX, TD-10, TD-8, TD7, TD5....their response time is all about the same( excellent and very usable ),remember, i'm talking about response time here and not sound quality ( this is another issue in itself, and VERY subjective, i might add ). Also the trigger signal MUST be plugged DIRECTLY into the modules above and not via midi.

If your trigger signal needs to be converted to midi to play an external module ( like samplers ) there's no way the response will be as fast as one of the combo mentioned above...it's normal since your signal needs to be converted to midi then that midi message triggers an external samplers.

So basically, if you want something fast, then get good quality triggers directly into any modules mentioned above...but this way you have to live with the sounds in that machine. If you want to access samplers then you 'll have to put the trigger signal through an interface ( DTS, Drumkat..) wich will convert it to midi to trigger the machine of your choince , but remember, this method is definitely not as fast.

I've had good success with triggering my acoustics using Trigger Perfect triggers and a drumKAT. To my knowledge, the Trigger Perfect triggers are the same as the dDrum triggers ... and are a lot cheaper. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Using the drumKAT then allows me to use any sound source I want via MIDI. I have several drum modules as well as an AKAI S6000 Sampler which allows me to make my own samples or use someone elses.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

vudoo and bartman, thanks for the reply's.

yes i agree with you about the sounds. very subjective. i'm still into the acoustic sound i get in my studio. just like the ability to get some interesting bass drum sounds and augment my snare sound. i'm hoping for a unit that really tracks musically. the v-drums do feel the most musical of any electronics i've played. the sounds seem to respond to my dynamics much more than any samplers i've used in the past. someone told me that its because the sounds are not triggered via midi and the sound modeling architecture is much more sophisticated than just cross-fading different hits ( like we do with samplers). if the v-drum will musically trigger my kik and snare, hopefully there will be some sounds in there that i actually like. thanks to both of you for the input. any other thoughts? -tom

Archived