Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sub mixing your kit?

ian1642605905

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure I have...plugged the all the crap in my 1402 VLZ...back in my heyday we were lucky to get mic'd at all. Why bother? That is what a sound man is for.

I submixed practically a whole demo I did this winter on two tracks...most of it is ok except for a cymbal or two sticking out here and there. I have to admit it was fun...I'd like to do it again sometime.

Hey Felix,

We have no designated sound man, so if I want to have a professional sound I have to submix.I've found that it is a great way to single out my drums for dynamic processing and let FOH man deal with "gain".I'm pretty picky I guess.

------------------

ian*

I submix my drums/percussion from time to time. If you've got a good sound man or someone running a separate monitor board, there's usually no need to submix. Most of the stuff I do LIVE anymore is recorded; so I'm not given an opportunity to submix my gear. Sometimes when I'm using a lot of gear, I will submix so that everything can get a mic on it; submixed down to the number of tracks I'm allowed for the recording.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Well, when our sound man took the night off the singer or guitar player would go out front and mix.

I was never the one to bitch about the mix being back in a corner underneath a dart board. Remember...they rest of the band are closest to the fronts. Sheesh there were usually so many opinions on the sound I didn't want to get involved unless there was a problem. The picky stuff ain't worth it IMHO...just pay me at the end of the night.

Archived