Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time For Me To Brag About LizzyD

Yogi

...cuz SHE won't do it, she's too modest! :D

Anyway, as many of you already know, LizzyD rocks in a very big way. We play in a band together, called Half Zaftig. After nearly two long years of working on it, we're about to go into the final mixing stage of our new record. We just posted a medley of clips from the rough mixes, along with two full songs (also roughs) "Fair Use" and "A Kick In The Shin." If you have a moment, have a listen to Lizzy laying down the groove like nobody's bid'ness (and also rocking not unlike a hurricane)!

Click Me To Listen

Thanks! :wave:

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update, Yogi! :thu:

MyWork blocks MySpace, so I'll have to wait until I get to MyHome to listen. :rolleyes:

It's always good to hear about one of our own. Tell Lizzy to stop being so modest! I'd love to hear this from her own, er, keyboard?

We could use her input around here more often, too, but it seems like she's busy bringing the RAWK, and that's so much more important! :thu:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

I can't wait to hear "Numbered Days". That is still my favorite song you've ever written.

We got a nice recording of it, but I could have easily lived without putting it on the new record. However, PnL talked me into it. That song has too much ancient history for me to be in love with it anymore. I felt like we were doing a cover when we tracked it again. If nothing else, I'm glad to be finally free of it. :D

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Nice...I particularly like "Fair Use"...great groove! Lizzy or Yogi, which bass are we hearing on these?

Thanks! That is the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz...er, The BenLoy Jazz, tuned Db-Ab-Db-Gb. "Kick In The Shin" is the Fender Jazz V. I used one of those two basses for almost all the tracks. Only one song has the Sadowsky and another has the Roscoe fretless.

And thanks for the comments everybody. :D

Originally posted by B-Naz:

I can't wait to hear "Numbered Days". That is still my favorite song you've ever written.

See Yogi? Told ya. People will dig it. :cool:

Thanks! That is the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz...er, The BenLoy Jazz, tuned Db-Ab-Db-Gb.
After listening to this track I'm happy to report that this bass should be known as the LizzyD Bass.

Those Geddy Lee Jazz basses sure work great for recording, though, don't they? I've had issues with the fretwork on mine when recording with extra-zingy roundwounds on tunes that require a lot of space/taste, but other than that, it's really versatile.

Originally posted by Yogi:

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

We got a nice recording of it, but I could have easily lived without putting it on the new record. However, PnL talked me into it. That song has too much ancient history for me to be in love with it anymore. I felt like we were doing a cover when we tracked it again. If nothing else, I'm glad to be finally free of it. :D
This guarantees that it will be your most popular, most requested, and most painful song. I'd start referring to it as "Satisfaction" if I were you.

Samples (heard quickly) sound very nice...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I don't know... I've never actually had lunch with her... :D Her music skills did make Tony Levin take note... literally!! On a studio session, Lizzy wrote the bass part for Tony to play and she, being as nice as she is, told him he could feel free to change anything he would want to, and he told her that it is just right as written, and I am told that is just how he played it. That's a pretty strong KUDO!! :D
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

I like a lot the tracks I have found on myspace, in particular, Skoorb's weird scal.. (scalp? scallop? myspace won't tell) is a gret track.

It reminds me of Scofield, and I do like Scofield's music.

I like bass this heavy, just this heavy. Too much drive is too much.

I spent one hour today with my overdrives to tune everything exactly.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

Gut impressions after visiting your "myspace":

"Fair Use" reminds me of King's X from the early days with a laid-back Spin Doctors' vibe.

"Life Like Luster..." = Elvis Costello studies with Frank Zappa.... OH NO! Did you just sample yourself around 0:5x? How Ouroubous is THAT?

"A Kick In The Shin" makes me want to erase my current works in progress and start over. Maybe tomorrow. Proof that the whole is better than the sum... ...and that it all hasn't been done just yet.

"Firefly" caps it. Proof that not all new music is processed and distributed by "the uber-corporation". I must have the CD. I... must have... THIS... CD... :freak:

(my best William Shatner impersonation)

Actually y'all say it better on myspace: "Half Zaftig sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin spilling a beer on Living Colour at a party that King's X threw for Trent Reznor and The Beatles at Frank Zappa's house. Yeah, just like that!"

I agree. Thank you for opening my mind.

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

I guess I'm going to have to put my Geddy in the shop, it must be broken as I can't get mine to sound that good. :grin:
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Fred, thanks for the comments!

"Life Like Luster..." = Elvis Costello studies with Frank Zappa.... OH NO! Did you just sample yourself around 0:5x? How Ouroubous is THAT?

Just so you know, that is not an individual song but a medley of snippets from all the songs on the album. :)

Archived