Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Enlightenment! I don't know Jack...

Rick on Bass

Hey everyone I made a new account, I feel like I need to humble myself a bit because through a lot of the things I've been though with my band, I realized I know absolutely NOTHING! Lol...I'll explain.

It's been a year and things couldn't be better. We replaced our lead guitar player and he's done us well. We all get along and write creatively together on the same plane. We've had our issues but we work through them. And we have a couple of guys who have been around and know the business side of things, or the Semantics Game. This is where I am truly humbled.

We are always in the middle of negotiations with somebody, in some way, at all times, trying to figure out how we can make the band money. We manage to take the money we make as a band and put it back into the band for new recording gear and cables and what not without having to come out with money our of our pockets at least not in the long run if we ebay something. That's no easy feat. Our singer comes out of pocket with upfront costs if it's something we need now like a new soundcard-it's already hooked up and ready to go.

We are finally recording the new CD it will be my first ever complete project from start to finish! I am very excited.

PS I traded in my '90-'91 MIA sunburst Jazz and got a nice deal for a brand new GIBSON THUNDERBIRD STUDIO 4 string in ebony. I already have a custom pickguard for it and bullet strap...

The world will still be turning when you've gone...

Currently playing with Heather Noble and Maven

Myspace.com/rickonbass

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by WhatWhoWhyMe:

PS I traded in my '90-'91 MIA sunburst Jazz and got a nice deal for a brand new GIBSON THUNDERBIRD STUDIO 4 string in ebony. I already have a custom pickguard for it and bullet strap...

Welcome to the Forum, WWWM! :wave:

Lesson one: never trade in a well-used, reliable bass for a new anything; you're bound to miss it in a few years and you'll spend twice as much to buy one like it back. Remember, you read that here first.

Also, I think I want to take my next vacation in "Whoreland". I always thought that was where you went if you died a virgin. (who knew it was a real place?)

:D

Seriously, we're looking forward to good news about your emerging career. Maybe it's not too late to buy back that Jazz and save it for studio work.

I'll presume your "from:" reference is a relative or scatological or philosophical one. Or that you've moved off Long Island :):)

For those who didn't realize it, this is Rick Hoffman (and he had other names) who has been in a few bands over the years he's been on the LD.

Glad to hear that things are going well. And no gig spam in all that time? Put me on the mailing list and I'll see what I can do. And if you can make it to Live Trax in Bellmore on the 27th, you can see us in action!

That was a nice bass that you traded in. I hope the 'bird is treating you well. Do you still have the others?

A full CD project is a great experience - where will you be recording it?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tom! Where is Live Trax? I don't think I have plans tonight I will try and make it down when will you be on?

Thanks for all the input guys. The reason I traded away my sunburst Jazz is because I feel it is an inferior instrument next to the Marcus Miller Jazz I recently bought. I love that bass and I've been playing it everywhere. The only thing I miss about the old Jazz is the sunburst finish...

The Gibson T-bird is about 30 days out. It's a studio model, ebony finish. I played an Epiphone T-bird at GC recently and I loved how it played. I'm expecting the Gibson to sound and play a lot better. The string spacing is a little further apart than I am used to, but I can make adjustments.

Yes, there hasn't been much gig spam from me of late. There's been plenty of gigs, though. We are recording our CD in the band house/studio. We almost have all the cable necessary to hook up the new recording rack. We are setting up for live recording. The new CD will be sold at FYE stores and we already have some songs up on I-tunes.

We also just made a deal with Zippo and we have lighters for sale with our band logo on them. They are going for 15 bux. If any of you smokers want a cool new zippo lighter PM me and I'll see about getting you a Lowdown discount!

Oh and Tom the only basses I have in the stable right now are the M-M sig bass, a Squier P bass special defretted by me(and it plays pretty decent I must add), and the Gibson T-bird on order. I have a 20 year old Aria Pro II bass on loan from a friend as a back up bass until the T-bird arrives. I'm thinking of giving my friend money for the Aria. Any idea what that bass is worth?

It's sure nice to be back...

The world will still be turning when you've gone...

Currently playing with Heather Noble and Maven

Myspace.com/rickonbass

Archived