Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

classic rock without a singer?

Ross Brown

If you're not going for radio, though - just for a local following - I'm wondering if it might not be possible to do that with rock/blues instrumentals? I suppose my experience is that whenever I've played instrumental music (whether jazz or fusion) I've been payed less than when I've played music with vocals. This has even been the case when I've sang backing vocals myself and I (sad to say) can't hold a note!

How about instruemntals with the odd chant or short vocal (as in most early Santana)?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Moe Monsarrat:

It's always been my living since I was 13 years old. I wish I could say it's something I earned, but it's a gift from God. Maybe it was Him who led me to make the decision not to go with Stevie. Who knows? I could have ended up on that helicopter too. My voice has allowed me to work all over the world & meet people I would never have met otherwise. I give thanks for it every day. The best thing is that when I'm really singing well, it feels like it isn't me doing it. Like it's just kinda flowing thru me. I hope everybody feels that with something they do.

The 'feel like it isn't me bit' is right on. When I'm singing well and people are moving and into it's like I have control over something. So much more fun when it's our own stuff. We just recorded some of our originals and the ones I like are the ones that don't sound like me. Remind me to avoid speaking parts.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

I had forgotten about it, but a band I was in a few years ago did a Christmas gig for the KC Royals booster club. They did want to dance, and we did our regular sets for that part of the gig. But the wanted some background music for the dinner part of the evening, and we played two or three tunes without vocals. Do It Again was one of them, and a couple of others like that, but I don't recall which ones. I just played the vocal melody on guitar, and then we took solos in the usual spots. It went over really well. I expect a band that was willing to play that sort of music in a more subdued way would get gigs in places like restaurants and lounges. You wouldn't get to rock out, but you wouldn't need a vocalist, and it would be money...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived