Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O.T. President Gerald Ford Dead At 93

Bottomgottem

The CNN Story

There is WAY too much death going on around here of late, but I thought that this was newsworthy, at least to those of us in the USA.

Ford is the first president in my memory. Though he was in office for only a short time, his presidency is memorable due to its circumstances and the fact that he didn't completely foul things up at a very difficult time in this nation's history.

He was chosen to replace Spiro Agnew as Nixon's VP over Nelson Rockefeller, Ronald Reagan,and John Connally. Then Nixon resigned and Ford became president. That makes Ford the only U.S. president never elected to a nationwide office. That's amazing to me.

He served for 895 days, survived two attacks on his life, and saw the end of the Vietnam War. Plus, he seemed like a good guy.

RIP Jerry.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Gerald Ford did seem like a "Good Guy", like you said, he didn't screw anything up during his time in office.. "That should go down in History"

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

He was a very good man and he lived a long and rich life.. ..

I also remember the local NY headline

" Ford to NY Drop Dead" it was a topic of discussion in the NY area for a while...

RIP President Ford....

www.danielprine.com

Ford was on the Warren Commision, and he replaced Nixon as president. That's pretty impressive stuff for someone who was described by Gil Scott-Heron as "Oatmeal Man"; "what do you have when you've got a man who spent 20 years in congress and nobody ever heard of him? You got Oatmeal Man." What's amazing is that nobody ever questioned his integrity regasrding his tenure on the the Warren Commision, one of the most maligned public service jobs ever created.

Ford was historic only in the fact that he wasn't elected either as VP or President, and that he was the unfortunate recipient of the second hatchet job on a president by the press that I can recall. Since then, the press has relegated any president they didn't like to either the Nixon category(dark and evil) or the Ford category(bumbling and inept). Well, at least they are bing nice to him at the end.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

He was one of the first politicians to fall victim to late-night-comic character assassination -- Chevy Chase later admitted that he portrayed Ford as a bumbling stiff with the intention of influencing the '76 presidential race.

Scary to think that people are getting their political information from Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, David Letterman and the other late-night yucksters.

As Doonesbury cartoonist Gary Trudeau once observed, anyone who gets their news from the comics deserves what they get at the polls.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

the Ford Museum is in my hometown, grand rapids, MI. i grew up assuming everyone had a presidential museum in their town. it makes me sad to hear of his passing.

i read a great deal about his pardon of nixon in my history of michigan class in college. i'm glad history agrees with his initial assessment, that it was the right thing to do to move the nation past watergate. much is made that he was never elected to the executive branch, but he certainly did a much better job as the president than many others.

robb.

My father was a friend of Jerry Ford, from the time Ford was a Michigan congressman and my father was a newsman there. He was open, honest and a very decent man, and apparently was not as easy to manipulate by the then-Republican party as they would have liked. He managed to keep his ethics and morals in a job that often corrupts those of less moral fiber.

I had a lot of respect for the man, stepping into an office that had been so tainted by his predecessor.

Rest in peace, Mr. President.

-Tim from Jersey

Play. Just play.

Archived