Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Our band is coming together, slowly

Ross Brown

Our adventures continue. Things are getting better as far as putting band together. It has been a long year, one in which I have learned much. Ill spare you all of the details of the past year since many are contained in other threads. I have played with many different types of people. I recommend it, even when it is frustrating. :freak:

This month we added a good drummer that 1) can keep time 2) doesnt overplay but has a good feel and interesting fills, etc 3) seems like a decent guy that we can all stand to be with. This is very good. Very, very good. :D

We added another guitarist. He is a decent guy too Plays well, but not as good as our lead guitarist. I am OK with that. I have heard some good stuff from him; we just need to work on charting, etc so we make use of his strengths.

One thing I notice is that certain chords sound bad when he plays them. :freak: I sometimes wonder if we are in the same key or playing the same chord at the same point in the song. I ask him what he is playing and I get the right answer. I wonder how much of this may be due to phrasing of the chords. Sometimes I feel like tones are missing, especially the higher tones. I dont ask how are you playing that because I dont know what the answer should be, I just know it is not quite right. :rolleyes:

Another issue that I have discovered is that there is a lot of dependence on the vocals for cueing of parts of a song in our band. I was thinking that if we are all playing the same song, we should be able to play it without vocals. Maybe we all have different versions of the song in our heads. I say this, because we dont have a real singer yet. To get around the problem we were having, the guitarist sings, but he is definitely not a singer

Singers that can sing on key are incredibly difficult for us to find. Other than that, things are looking good and we plan to keep working on the music until we find a singer.

Feel free to comment and chime in. Also, I hope everyone has a great holiday and New Year.

:)

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know the "look" well. Since we have a new lead and rythm guitarist, we have changed some of the arrangements of the songs. I usually get into the song and forget the arrangement. But it gets real interesting when the singer forgets, or I follow her or she follows me when I forget. Eventually it all comes back together. Luckily for us, the lead guitarist only knows one solo riff and he plays it over and over till we get back inline.

How do you sign a computer screen?

I was in a band with two other guys that played some of the same songs for over 20 years. In that period of time, we made a lot of changes to those songs, to keep them interesting to us, or to take advantage of new/different instrumentation when we'd get a fourth guy in the band, or just for the sheer mad joy of it. We had one tune that started out as a 3 1/2 minute 50's rocker that grew into a 30 minute multi-style extravaganza, mostly 'cause we just kept coming up with things to tack onto it. Sometimes, particularly when we changed that 4th member, we'd go back to an earlier arrangement on some of the tunes. It could get a little weird was trying to remember which version of the song(s) we were doing. But, what was cool was that with a look, or a particular lick we could lead each other through several different arrangements at once if we needed to.

There is just nothing like having that much time playing together under your belts. Lord, I miss that...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Mike, I envy you! But hopefully the coffeehouse band I'm in will stay together a long time, although probably we wouldn't be playing more than about once a month. One of the other guitarists is a very fine musician, knows tons of tunes and is versatile. We are already starting to play off each other well. It would be great to really develop that!

The other guitarist is not on the same level but he's adaptable to what's going on around him. I'd like to help him develop - he's not a tone-deaf klutz or anything! And he has a nice voice, which doesn't hurt.

It's cool to not be stuck in the same ol', same ol' a lifetime - and play with likeminded people.

There are some people, whenever I play with them I feel like I'm stuck in a time warp.

There are some people, whenever I play with them I feel like I'm stuck in a time warp.

There are some people, whenever I play with them I feel like I'm stuck in a time warp....

Originally posted by Picker:

I was in a band with two other guys that played some of the same songs for over 20 years. In that period of time, we made a lot of changes to those songs, to keep them interesting to us, or to take advantage of new/different instrumentation when we'd get a fourth guy in the band, or just for the sheer mad joy of it. We had one tune that started out as a 3 1/2 minute 50's rocker that grew into a 30 minute multi-style extravaganza, mostly 'cause we just kept coming up with things to tack onto it. Sometimes, particularly when we changed that 4th member, we'd go back to an earlier arrangement on some of the tunes. It could get a little weird was trying to remember which version of the song(s) we were doing. But, what was cool was that with a look, or a particular lick we could lead each other through several different arrangements at once if we needed to.

There is just nothing like having that much time playing together under your belts. Lord, I miss that...

Yes! The new drummer offers some nice cues and the lead guitarist I have been playing with can give some. He can play and play and play, always something new. I think it will come together with more "together" time at rehearsal.

I did hand out a CD with the first set of covers that we will do. I was surprised at how happy everyone was to get that. I thought everyone new the songs inside and out. That should help too. Now if I can get the one guitarist to hear the difference in the chords or whatever that is that I hear...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I feel you on that "hearing what I hear" bit. Our new guy is doing something wrong on a few of our songs and I tell him over and over but he just doesn't hear it.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I am glad that everything is coming together for you. I have followed your "story" in past threads and it seemed that we were kind of in the same but a little different situation. We'll git-r-dun.

Quote from Fingertalkin:

I feel you on that "hearing what I hear" bit. Our new guy is doing something wrong on a few of our songs and I tell him over and over but he just doesn't hear it.

-------------------------

Eric here:

Something wrong as in "not like the record" or wrong as in clashing with the other parts? Or maybe BOTH?

If you can, it might be helpful to play through the song together with him and when a chord or lead parts sounds funny, examine carefully what's being played, to track down the sore thumb notes!

Or maybe tape it and listen later.

Sometimes it isn't really anyone's "fault". I remember once I was playing a tune with a pianist and there was this jazz chord - a 13b9 or something like that. My voicing sounded fine by itself, and so did hers - they just didn't mesh well. We never had time to really sort it out, so I think I just didn't play that one chord. No one seemed to miss it!

And sometimes it's rhythms that clash.

Food for thought, most likely worth what you paid for it!

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

Quote from Fingertalkin:

-------------------------

Eric here:

Something wrong as in "not like the record" or wrong as in clashing with the other parts? Or maybe BOTH?

If you can, it might be helpful to play through the song together with him and when a chord or lead parts sounds funny, examine carefully what's being played, to track down the sore thumb notes!

Or maybe tape it and listen later.

Sometimes it isn't really anyone's "fault". I remember once I was playing a tune with a pianist and there was this jazz chord - a 13b9 or something like that. My voicing sounded fine by itself, and so did hers - they just didn't mesh well. We never had time to really sort it out, so I think I just didn't play that one chord. No one seemed to miss it!

And sometimes it's rhythms that clash.

Food for thought, most likely worth what you paid for it!

Good thoughts.

It's more of a timing thing. I definitely recorded our last practice, which conversely was a train wreck.

To give you all an example during "Back in Black" after the E DDD AAA their is that little lead guitar fill. He always starts late and rushes through it which makes the whole song feel rushed.

Then at the end of the song their is that pentatonic scale run (please don't flame me if that is not what it is called, I'm working on my theory) I am right on time grooving with the drummer and he slacks off and gets behind. I may not be the most technical player or knowledgeable in regards to theory and whatever else, BUT I can keep a steady beat and groove.

Everyone one of us weekend warriors makes mistakes. So what. Noone that were playing to cares unless you have to stop the song. Fortunately, we have never had to do that. I just like to be tight.

I'm in a band for fun, but I realize that the people that come and see us could have just as easily gone somewhere else. I like to give them as good a show as possible.

Shane

At what point does trying to be tight become not fun? And vice-versa, at what point does playing with guys who don't care about being that tight become not fun?

Shane, I like your attitude about giving them as good a show as possible. I think the average listener will take notice.

Recently, I saw a band playing 'Low Rider'. Someone was way off, it sounded like the bass player was missing a 1/2 beat. They should have stopped, but didn't. It was awful.

Ya know, that's a tough question to answer. We have pretty much a new band with two new guitarists. I'm sure you remember my rantings on the bandwidth forum Aldena. I'm not really into the new guys, but we have only been with one of them for 2 months and the other for a few weeks. It's not fun when I am used to picking songs, learning them and nailing them after a take or two, but now it seems like we can't get tight on the entire set. What is really frustrating is that they said that they have been playing these songs for years. But our show last night was fun as hell. We screwed up some and totally nailed most of them. But the crowd was digging it and dancing and just having a blast.

I used to think that we should stop mid song. We actually did last night because the PA was acting up, but from what I noticed is that unless it is a real bad train wreck, as long as you start together and stop together than most of the time everything is alright. But that doesn't mean to strive for mediocrity.

Shane

Great news Ross, I continue to follow your adventures with interest.

Our drummer often refuses to follow the singer. But the rest of us do. Its vital if she decides the audience are going great and does extra verses. Also if she messes up, we have to follow, or she looks daft and you loose her confidence and the audience notice and it all goes pear shaped.

Ideally everyone should know what they are doing, but we're all only human.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Originally posted by TimR:

Our drummer often refuses to follow the singer. But the rest of us do.

Sounds like the drummer is playing but not listening. I think this is an important concept in getting a sound that really hangs together: if you're not soloing, then you're an accompanist and what you play should compliment what the soloist is doing. I think it's completely appropriate for the rest of the band to follow vocal cues-- you have to follow what the singer is doing, right or wrong.

Ed

Archived