Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Brown passes away

jeremy c

I am really sorry to hear that we aren't gonna see any more dave brown posts on the forum. I didn't really know him personally, but he had given me advice about bass through this forum pretty much as long I've been playing. I don't really know what to say, other than that dave was a great guy and will be greatly missed, and that i'm sure he's out there somewhere rockin' on his bass with the likes of jaco and entwhistle.
hmmm...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea of death kinda screws with my head sometimes, but what totally blows me away even more is to see how much love and good energy that is given to Dave and his family. I mean...that totally says a lot about a person. I find it really remarkable and impressive. I didn't really know Dave but how amazing it must have been to be in his circle of friends and family. It truly must have be a blessing and a gift from God. I can only sit and here and think "I hope I'm half as lucky as Dave when it my turn to check out."

I talked to Justin Brown the other day. His life is returning to normality or whatever we might call it.

We talked by phone on a break in his gig...he plays regularly with a Latin band. He enjoys this band...there are good players in it.

Justin is keeping the bass flame burning in the Brown family.

After waiting a respectful time and consulting with Justin Brown (thanks to Jeremy), we've made a few changes.

Dave has been removed as a moderator. This was done mainly to avoid new people (who didn't realize the situation) didn't write to him for help or info.

We've also changed the "title" (moderator, senior member, etc.) for all of our deceased members to "Playing In Heaven". I know that Dave and RobT had that type of belief, and it just seemed to fit.

We also decided to leave this thread at the top for a while. I suspect most people that knew Dave have seen it, but it serves to help us remember our loss. And it's not too late to contribute to Dave's scholarship fund. If you need help with that there's lots of info in this thread, or you can PM or email me.

Thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I found this in a pile of old emails in the corner. It's from when Bob and I asked Dave to become a moderator.

I thank you for thinking of me.

My only concern is that, as a moderator, my opinion and commentary might be given undue weight. It might inhibit me in my comments. That might not be a problem.

But I'm not a difficult soul...I'll do anything you guys need me to.

It just reminded me what a great guy he is, and how lucky we were to have him when we did.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

i've spent some time reading old threads on this forum - since i'm quite new here - and i found Dave Brown's posts always helpful, filled with unbiased, professional and friendly advice. i'm sure he helped quite a few guys here to become great musicians. i have no doubt he now makes angels happy with his grooves and incredible conversation ability.

Dave and I were always going to meet, since we were only 300 miles apart. We were going to eat our favorite food, Tex-Mex.

One of the things that really impressed me, is the outpouring of letters from his music students, sincerely sharing how he changed their lives. What a wonderful gift. If we all could be so foutunate to make a real difference in young peoples lives.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow... what a thread to come back to after a year or so...

Dave's family is in my prayers.

A good man and always willing to help, and always with kind words.

Funny how you can 'get to know' someone just by reading his writing.

You'll be missed.

Dan

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

• 1 month later...

That is truley amazing and inspiring it is because of people like DAve that new bassists have a chance to get better I hope that his family is at peace and REMIND YOU ALL THAT LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WASTE. I thank all of you who are kind enough to help because we all know bassists are a unique breed.

God bless you all

GOD BLESS

www.myspace.com/logicorconscience

You guys will love the jam http://www.myspace.com/symlife

I'm very sorry that I didn't see this thread sooner. Dave was a gentleman and a great friend to all who posted here.

I'm sorry that I can't muster an eloquent response just now; I am absolutely stunned upon hearing the news of Dave's passing. I'll have to post back in a few days when I can think clearly once again. Right now I feel as though I've had the wind knocked out of me.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• 2 years later...

There are times when we remember those who have passed. Today is one of them. I am in Arlington TX on business. Earlier today I remembered that I am in DBB's stomping grounds. It gave me pause. Were Dave still with us, I most certainly would've made time to see him while here. Alas, this is not the case.

Dave Brown is gone, but certainly not forgotten -- even today.

Peace'n'luv.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

It's hard to believe how fast time flies. It was in 2004 that do to changes in my life that I had to give up my moderator position and something I really enjoyed. That was when Dave stepped up to fill that position. He did a great job at being a moderator and also was a great human being for what he did with young musicians in the music educational field. Missed but always remembered!

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Dave and I had plans to get togather at his favorite Mexican restruant, his passing prevented that. I missed meeting someone in person whom I greatly admired from this Forum. Maybe later, in another place.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Educators leave marks on our society that outlast even their students, because the students pass them on to others. Dave will never really die as long as what he passed on keeps being passed on.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

There are times when we remember those who have passed. Today is one of them. I am in Arlington TX on business. Earlier today I remembered that I am in DBB's stomping grounds. It gave me pause. Were Dave still with us, I most certainly would've made time to see him while here. Alas, this is not the case.

Dave Brown is gone, but certainly not forgotten -- even today.

Peace'n'luv.

--SW

Normally, I would have raised an eyebrow to a necrobump of this magnitude, but in this case, yes, even 3 years later, DB is missed.

It was a kick in the teeth for me to be so affected by the death of someone I'd never met. He was so damn wise and so damn cool.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived