Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave Brown passes away

jeremy c

A most unfortunate event, indeed. Dave had always been a significant voice on these forums. I never passed over his input and valued his insight. We will definately miss him.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a long time since I've posted, and I just read this.

Dave was always personable and stayed above whatever argument or peronality conflicts that might be brewing (as often do on online forums).

He was one of the essential members of this forum, and I know that many people, myself included, will greatly miss his insightful low-end wisdom.

RIP

Insert inaccurate quote here

Wow, that is so hard to handle. I remember all the encouraging words he's given me over the years. He even lives in the next city.

I've never met him but he was always such a nice guy to converse with and always willing to give me a hand with studying music. He gave a lot to this forum.

Here's to you Dave.

I learned a lot from Dave Brown, sometimes I read his posts over and over to make sure I retained all the info. Dave was great at getting the point across in a tactful and professional manner that always kept me interested. Teachers just don't get that good unless they truly have a passion for what it is they are teaching...fortunately we have a few guys like that still around, here in the Lowdown.

Dave, you will be missed. Thanks.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Tom, I just had an epiphany........

Considering the value, both sentimentally and in terms of educational value, of Dave's many posts here, what are the chances and what would be the procedure for gathering his wisdom and condensing it to book form? Are posts here considered public domain or are they intellectual property?

Proceeds from such a book could contribute mightily to the scholarship fund.

Just wondering.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Originally posted by thabottomend:

Tom, I just had an epiphany........

....what are the chances and what would be the procedure for gathering his wisdom and condensing it to book form? ....

First, your epiphany is about a week early by my calendar :)

OK - bad religious joke aside, I'm pretty sure that the forum is public domain, but not sure. As to collecting a book's worth of material, I wonder sometimes how much of the "surrounding" posts are needed to put the wisdom into it's proper context. Lastly, it might be a lot of work to market this to people (outside ourselves).

The idea of supporting Dave's fund is appealing. I have a busy week coming up, so maybe by next week we could chat again. Anyone else with ideas can chime in. We could set up a group of people and divide up the forum into years to review. I'm betting DCR and I could cover some of the earlier years (since we've been around for a while).

Thoughts?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

The "committee" approach would lessen the load on everybody involved. I would be happy to help in any way I could.

Can I have my epiphany now? :D

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

I have not been around here in a long time and I'm not sure why I stopped by to look around. Certainly didn't expect to find something like this.

This is very sad indeed. My heart goes out to his family and everyone who knew him well, virtually or otherwise.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

I'm still freaked out every time I'm on the guitar player forum and see a post with the Mark Twain avatar by Blues Without Blame; I keep thinking, "What? Dave Brown's back or is this an old post of his?" Even though Dave looked very little like Mark Twain... Still, freaky.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Although I am horribly saddened by the loss of Dave Brown, and it has taken me weeks to be ready to do this... and I am still really not ready... I would like to add Dave to bassplayerheaven.com.

Jeremy, or others, do you know if there is a favored photo of Dave which I can use? Maybe one that he really liked?

Also, I would like to offer his family the opportunity to send me some thoughts to post along with Dave's LowDown info.

For the past two memorials, Rob Thompson and John Dottle, I have included the following info:

Name and LowDown username

Date of Birth, Date of Passing

Member #

City, State and Country

Month and year of LowDown Registration

# of Posts

And then any memories family and friends want to share who are not LowDown members, because we LowDowners can post our thoughts here.

I'll also include a link to this thread for others to read.

... Connie

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

I'm very sad and shocked to hear this. Like many others, I knew him only through his posts, which I always found very thoughtful, balanced, patient, and informative. He was a guy who seemed to speak from a lot of experience and it is always a big loss when you lose a guy like that. My condolences and sympathy to his family.

here's to you Dave. i hope you could say everything you wanted to everyone you wanted and vice versa. i hope you are at peace now (i'm sure you are). one day i'll meet you so we can talk person to person. i remember you as caring, wise, calm, intelligent and full of empathy. cheers!

After not posting (I can't even remember my login info, so I had to create a new profile) for well over a year, I check out the lowdown and find this. I can hardly believe it! My emotions are all over the map.

I lived less than 30 minutes from him for several years, yet we never found the time to actually meet each other in person. Through the myriad of posts he made and the many P.M's and e-mails we exchanged I came to consider him a good friend. I'll miss you Dave...

Later......Sheldon

From the RobT thread:

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Ya know, we've talked about other bassists dying, famous ones like Entwhistle and The Judge.

Somehow, one of our own hurts a bit more. And, in a weird way, he'll come to life again and again every time we reference an old post he contributed to...

"For instance" is not proof.

Special thanks to Bass Player, who put an obit on the letters page of the Feb edition. It's great to see such an accomplished and fine person get some recognition.

And thanks to all of you for stepping up and posting. My brother moderator would be shy about the praise he deserves. Thanks as well to all who signed the on-line funeral book, supported it, and donated to the scholarship fund !!

To paraphrase Dave's words (thanks 0-9), he's being remembered by drawing some of our lurkers back to post and say hi. That's a tribute in itself.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Special thanks to Bass Player, who put an obit on the letters page of the Feb edition. It's great to see such an accomplished and fine person get some recognition.

Indeed!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

With a very heavy heart I just added Dave Brown to http://www.bassplayerheaven.com. :cry:

I had two photos available of Dave holding his bass. One from the obituary which Jeremy posted for us, and one that Dave submitted to UglyBassPlayer.com. I have to assume that he got a kick out of that photo. I love it.

Dave's friend "aj1157" posted a link to some photos also, which were great, but I was looking for shots of him with a bass.

As with our dearest Rob Thompson and John Dottle, I am reserving the space on the site for rememberences by his family members and friends, outside of our circle, since we can post our thoughts here on the LowDown, on this thread.

Thank you. ... connie z

EDIT: Thanks to Alex and Ed for letting me know about my date error. It is fixed now.

"Change comes from within." - Jeremy Cohen

The definition of LUCK: When Preparation meets Opportunity!

http://www.cybergumbo.com

Over the weekend I received this message from Justin Brown:

Jeremy,

I still watch the page and it still touches me.[note: he's talking about this thread on the forum] I just found out that the audio of the funeral was posted online. The service was truly beautiful. If any of the guys on the forum want to hear it they can go to

http://www.myspace.com/davebrownbasstribute

It is the same as his my space page avatar, but with tribute added. All of the music was performed by his students and band mates.

Justin

I've reasonably new here, but even in just a few months I do recognise the name of Dave Brown as a guy who posted a lot of helpful stuff on this site, and he is obviously highly respected.

Sorry to hear of his passing

John

MUSIC is food for the soul

Archived