Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G4 or AMD Dual MP processor?

I'm not sure what to get, PC with Dual AMD MP 1900 mghz or a G4 1000 mghz? I have friend that is a expert in pc and he recomend to get a dual MP system. He can build it for me for $1300.00 with 1 G of Rambus and 80 G hard drive running at 7200 rpm with 8mb buffer speed. I will add another 40 G hard drive with 7200 rpm with no buffer speed. The G4 will cause me around $3000.00 including the monitor. That is more then double. I have logic 5.0 for pc that some one lend a copy. I was planing on buying it, but they will not make for pc no more. So I going to go with SX that cost around $600.00 Any way if I stay wthi pc I have to buy sx also Mac I have to buy the software. My question is where should I go. PC with dual MP proccesor running at 1900 or G4? Is there any differecen beside price? I heard that the MP system is very stable and fast. Any opinion? Thanks for the help.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you get a PC, you might consider going for a blistering fast single processor Athlon, 2ghz or so. A lot of people have trouble with a dual setup doing music, but it's highly dependent on the motherboard and software. Spend some time if you go that route on the boards which deal with the software you choose, and Cubase SX is a good choice. Ask of those who have custom built systems what their components are, and even what slot their sound card is in, as it can make a difference in assigning IRQs to the card. I'm a Pro Tooler myself, and the Digidesign Users Group has been invaluable in supplying all the info for building a mondo powerful Athlon based music PC for less than $700. Of course better components will up the price, but unless you're going for a DVD-R, you should be able to build a blistering PC with monitor for less than $1100. The Mac has the advantage of a tried and true system with specific architecture, so very few people ever have trouble with it. And Roger Nichols reports that his single processor Mac... oh, it's between 700-800mhz, can outperform his 2ghz P4 in many jobs. He's not known for exaggeration, so take all that for what it's worth. I'm intending to go the Athlon route myself, counting on the fact that a PC limited to only music software and nothing else can't be THAT unstable, surely. Of course this is Windows here, maybe I'd better cross my fingers... ;)
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

[quote]Originally posted by Stereo: [b]I'm not sure what to get, PC with Dual AMD MP 1900 mghz or a G4 1000 mghz? I have friend that is a expert in pc and he recomend to get a dual MP system. He can build it for me for $1300.00 with 1 G of Rambus and 80 G hard drive running at 7200 rpm with 8mb buffer speed. I will add another 40 G hard drive with 7200 rpm with no buffer speed. The G4 will cause me around $3000.00 including the monitor. That is more then double. I have logic 5.0 for pc that some one lend a copy. I was planing on buying it, but they will not make for pc no more. So I going to go with SX that cost around $600.00 Any way if I stay wthi pc I have to buy sx also Mac I have to buy the software. My question is where should I go. PC with dual MP proccesor running at 1900 or G4? Is there any differecen beside price? I heard that the MP system is very stable and fast. Any opinion? Thanks for the help.[/b][/quote]I would generally recommend against purchasing anything right now (due to a shitload of new technology comming out really soon). If however you feel like you cannot go on with your current set-up, the price/performance ratio of athlon MP systems is not quite good, unless you buy normal Athlon XPs and mod them into MPs (saves you 60% on the cpus). But due to the lack of a proper upgrade route on current hardware and the uncertainties about athlons scalabilty i'd strongly recommend against it. Single XP on KT400 mobos is the way to go. Macs are a nono imho, unless you care a lot about the esthetic value of your computer.

Archived