Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BAD ASS II

DAVIDTGRIFFITH

Hey guys,

i just bought a bass ass II bridge to put on a 86 fender Jass special,its not my main bass but i do love to go back to it for the odd gig.its set up is great the pick ups are class but i always felt the bridge was weak.....However i am a bit nervous about making a groove in the bridge to stop the strings moving,do i need to do this? there is no instructions in the packet to tell you how to.The guy in the shop said "make sure i used a file to put a groove in the bridge for the strings".

any help would be great!!

Fender S1 P Bass-Fender Jazz Special'86-Musicman Stingray 5-SWR super redhead+SWR 15 cab

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's right a triangular-shaped file works quite well. They do this so that you can tailor the groove to the type of strings you use. In reality, you don't have to do too much or dig too deep. You only need a notch so the string sits in the correct position. The tension in the string will do the rest and keep it in place. I did this about 28 years ago on mine!

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

by Davo-London:

That's right a triangular-shaped file works quite well. They do this so that you can tailor the groove to the type of strings you use. In reality, you don't have to do too much or dig too deep. You only need a notch so the string sits in the correct position. The tension in the string will do the rest and keep it in place. I did this about 28 years ago on mine!

This is the same thing a friend did for mine a few years ago. He used a triangular file and made a small notch for each string. It doesn't have to be a round slot, although some here may argue that point.

If you do it yourself just make sure that the string will run over the pickup pole. It may be a little off, but that is common on stock Fenders too. If you're not comfortable doing it, take it to a tech. It shouldn't cost all that much to do.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Archived