Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I NEED your help!!!

soretro80s

ok, so i recently bought this same exact head for 200 bucks. i got such a good deal on it..that i HAD to buy it. can anyone tell me how old it is? I know GK is a pretty relaibale company. however, does anyone know if this is a good head? a bad head? or just an ok head? any info would be greatly appreciated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/greeneau/c.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just rehearsed at a studio that had one of these. It's a very punchy unit. I liked it. It has a definite sound to it as well. I always think of Duff McKagan on that first Guns'n'Roses album.

Does that one have the built in chorus? The one I played did and I thought it sounded pretty cool.

I couldn't tell you much about what year it is and so on. Just play it man! It's a good head. Off you go!

thanks for all the comments guys. I figured it was a pretty good head. Its very loud, very powerful. and very easy to get the EXACT sound you want out of it.

it doesnt have a built in chorus. atleast...i dont think..lol..I havent honestly messed with it too too much. Ive just been so busy working and playing with my band..that i havent really taken the time to go through it thouroughly. Im actually going to do that probably tonite. come to think of it. if i have some extra time.

FWIW, the GK with the built-in Chorus is the 1200-SEB. (There was also a combo version, 1200-SEL, IIRC.) I have the SEB -- hard to find, but a great little amp. Built-in compressor and limiter, too, in additioin to the chorus, in addition to the normal GK features.

I wish it was 100 watts more powerful, but. . .

Also had an 800-RB, the big brother of the 400-RB. What a great amp for the time -- my first "real" big amp. . .And, yes, that Duff McKagan tone. . .He's the man. . .

Overall, nice score on the amp. . . :thu:

They're a real work-horse. . .You can hammer nails with 'em. . .

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

BTW, Your amp looks to be from the mid-80's to very early-90's.

The older ones have a horizontally-mounted rocker switch for the AC on/off. . .The newer ones have the same switch, only mounted vertically. . .

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

Originally posted by rooster6550:

BTW, Your amp looks to be from the mid-80's to very early-90's.

The older ones have a horizontally-mounted rocker switch for the AC on/off. . .The newer ones have the same switch, only mounted vertically. . .

coolness. yeah i knew it was older. but i love it. i can get any sound i want out of it. and for the price. its worth it. its also extremely loud.

Archived