Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pressure, half wound, or coated strings?

J.Coop Coyote

Howdy folks,

I'm looking for some new string suggestions to replace my Fender flats with. I've searched the archives and the BP mag article, but still not sure what to put my hard earned cash into. I have so many sets of barely used strings already(is there a market for them?) I'm thinking along the lines of D'Addario half rounds, but want to consider other alternatives. I'm looking for the thump of flats with a little growl. Of Course, I don't want a brite zingy string or a lot of finger noise either. Thanks for any help, Jeff

J.Coop Coyote

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found that ground wounds have more zing than thump, at least when they are new. The only ones I've used are the Rotosound, though.

If you want to try some different flats, the Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats are very popular. I like them on my fretless, but I've never tried them with frets.

Ed

I've been using the D'Addario half's for a long time on my fretless basses; love them. They are fretboard friendly, great mwaa, and when new they are reasonably bright but not zingy/rotosound. I put a set of nylon tapewounds on fretless recently; low e was too light and would flap around, so I put back on the half-wound e string. High c was also too light, but internet says they come in a heavier gauge now. I dig these strings a whole lot, but it's a weird looking hybrid. Very interesting sound when slapped and popped on fretless (need to practice that more) but definitely requires a lighter touch (which I should be doing anyway). GREAT mwaa. And VERY fingertip friendly at the end of a four-setter. Halfs have little finger noise but noticable when brand new; nylon has almost no finger noise.

Which makes me want to get a set of the coated stings for my fretless. Anybody else using coated sans frets?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I have a set of D'Addario Half Rounds on now. They can growl. I'm still living with them a bit to see if they are what I want. They have a very different tone and I'm still not sure about them.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

J.Coop Coyote - I'll be interested to hear how you like those strings. And how the "sit" in the mix.

Originally posted by Picker:

Working with a set of D'Addario Half Rounds, not liking the tone of them much.

I was messing around last night and finding the same problem. I'm surprised how punchless and lifeless the strings sound. I thought I'd adapt to them and appreciate the lack of zing, but I've got a gig next week and am seriously considering switching them. I've had a number of different round wound strings - they had some tonal variations, but not like this. Picker - you helped convince me! Thanks! (anyone want a free 5-set of half rounds? PM me)

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived