Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass books for children

Bob Gollihur

Another player I know posted two childrens books that revolved around upright basses on another site I moderate. I've since picked the two up from Amazon for my grandson; if anyone else is interested, these are the titles:

Berlioz the Bear in paperback and hardcover

Baxter Barret Brown\'s Bass Fiddle

Anyone know of other bass-oriented books for children they'd like to share with us?

While I searched Amazon I also ran across this, Double Bass players: 365 Double Bass Lessons 2007 Note-A-Day Calendar for Double Bass (Spiral-bound)

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deep Down in the Music is a very nice book which is written for children.

It gives a history of the development of jazz bass playing, mentions all the major figures, and describes their styles. I learned a lot from this book as did the adult student I lent it to. However, the writing style makes it extremely useful to use with children.

It doesn't seem to available new anywhere, but the link I gave list some used copies available.

You could also show the video, Tubby the Tuba . This classic cartoon from 1947 features the tuba in an orchestra and his psychological travels in search of respect. He is helped by a bullfrog and then becomes the star of the orchestra.

I loved this cartoon as a child (well before I even played any instrument at all) and when I saw it in a Walgreen's I bought it and it has held up well over the years.

Both of those books are now on my Amazon wish list. They will soon be in my library.

I'm still a sucker for the Bugs Bunny "Long Haired Hare" cartoon where he impersonates Leopold Stokowski to get even with Giovanni Jones.

More info at IMDB.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

I have that 4 DVD set (a Christmas gift from my kids a few years back). It's great. Those songs that Bugs sings are fun tunes. I like when he "conducts" the audience to stop clapping after his first piece.

Sorry - no bass book suggestions...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived