Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slap Guitar article in GP Magazine

jeremy c

Slap Guitar Video

Watch out, bass brethrens and sistrens!

The guitarists have discovered slap.

I think this qualifies for that little box in Sports Illustrated Magazine where they list signs of the apocalypse.

The newest issue of Guitar Player magazine has an article about how to play slap guitar. They call it spank guitar.

GP editor Jude Gold wrote the article...I saw him play (opening act for Oz Noy a few months ago) and he does a lot of this style. Other stylists in this style include Reggie Wooten (Vic's oldest brother).

I remember seeing Dave Van Ronk play acoustic blues guitar in the 60's and he was snapping strings. I thought it sounded pretty cool.

Next we will have the same debate in the guitar world that we have in the bass world. "That's not how Hendrix/Jamerson did it." "Picks/fingers are the only legitimate way to play the instrument." etc. etc.

I've got 25 db earplugs already; it's time to get 100 db earplugs.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's ok we're safe - Reggie Wooten's been doing it for years and he still sounds rubbish despite teaching the pre-eminent slapper of modern times - it won't catch on. Though I said that about camera phones and text messaging...

Alex

P.S. Aargh, just remembered the intro to Funky Monks...

As one of the guitarists who slips down to the lowdown everynow and again, obviously because I dont have enough co-ordination to click the right forum :P:D I'd say thats not really my thing.

The most slap I like to see on a guitar is this..

Now that is cool!

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

As one of the guitarists who slips down to the lowdown everynow and again, obviously because I dont have enough co-ordination to click the right forum :P:D I'd say thats not really my thing.

Now that is cool!

Thank God for Youtube, now I will know what show to not attend. I don't think I would walk across the street to see that guy.

At least bass slapping is part of the accompaniment...it isn't the song.

Tuck Andress.

I'll bet you'd walk across the street for Tuck and Patty. I did.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I love Tuck's playing madly and one of the highlights of my playing career was when I played opening act (with a jazz trio of which I was the leader) to Tuck and Patti a year ago and got to hang out with them for a good amount of time.

Tuck never plays cliches or licks and never plays his own compositions the same way twice.

Ain't that the truth. I've got to see them twice, and they are on my "must go" show list.

I actually learned quite a bit about walking bass lines by listening to "I've Got Just About Everything."

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

It's definitely entertaining in a "I've never seen that before" kind of way but I don't know if I'd want to pay for and sit through an entire show of that. Kind of like watching Jackass on TV vs. going to see Jackass: The Movie in theaters.

not my cup of tea...but it's definitely a cool party trick.

without a doubt, much less intense than bass slap.

When i saw VW in concert and reggie pulled it out it was kinda like "yeah, but the bass player just finished doing that...are you gonna stop and give me some normal guitar playing?"

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

Now that is cool!

Thank God for Youtube, now I will know what show to not attend. I don't think I would walk across the street to see that guy.

At least bass slapping is part of the accompaniment...it isn't the song.

LOL Well laaaardy daaaar :P

Justin Kings technique is not Bass Slap as such, as to get the notes to ring out the way he is doing it you have to hit on the 12th frets up harmonic points for each note. Adding flavour to the melody.

Hes a very skillful guitarist, what is it you particularly dont like about him? (apart from the part of the video where he looks like hes making love to his guitar, which makes him look like a bit of an idiot) Is it just that hes a guitarist using similar technique to a bass player? Or that he is a bit of a fret wanker? Or jsut not your bag? Or something else?

I just like to see skillful playing of any instrument...

:)

Originally posted by davio:

... I don't know if I'd want to pay for and sit through an entire show of that.

Yup. It's kind of cool to look at, I guess. Sort of like Stomp on Broadway. It gets your attention at first, but 2 hours of it would just give me a headache.
Push the button Frank.

My comment about Justin King was based on the fact that I don't really hear a musical composition. I hear very skillful playing and an impressive repertoire of technical gimmicks.

I heard the harmonics...that's part of the guitar playing version of the slap style and was covered in the GP lesson.

My days of being impressed by someone's technique are over. Many, many people have impressive technique these days. They all seem to be learning the techniques from each other and not really contributing anything new.

I'd rather hear something musical. I have very eclectic tastes and that covers a lot of ground for me. Most of my friends (and that includes the musicians I know as well as the civilians) can't stand a lot of things I like.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

My comment about Justin King was based on the fact that I don't really hear a musical composition. I hear very skillful playing and an impressive repertoire of technical gimmicks.

I heard the harmonics...that's part of the guitar playing version of the slap style and was covered in the GP lesson.

My days of being impressed by someone's technique are over. Many, many people have impressive technique these days. They all seem to be learning the techniques from each other and not really contributing anything new.

I'd rather hear something musical. I have very eclectic tastes and that covers a lot of ground for me. Most of my friends (and that includes the musicians I know as well as the civilians) can't stand a lot of things I like.

Ah ok thats cool. I see where your coming from on that one. I guess I am still impressed by technical ability over musical composition LOL :D Which im sure will change as my own skills at composing increase.

Archived