Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Phil Jones Bass Buddy

Barks

Has anyone got one of these..

http://www.philjonesbass.com/PRODUCTS/AMP/BASS%20BUDDY.htm

or has anyone tried one?

I would like to get a better sound when playing with headphones and wondered if this type of gadget would be the answer. My practice amp is a SWR WM10 combo but the headphone sound is pretty poor.

I don't think my headphones are too bad (Sony MDR-V500) - although you may want to disagree?

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What else have you got? Do you have a PC with music software loaded? For $350 you could purchase software and an interface so you could play through your PC (preferably a laptop) have an excellent sound source and be able to record and use drum loops as well! Or consider the Tascam CD-BT1mkII or Korg Pandora's Box etc. These would have a lot more features than the PJ Bass Buddy for practicing.

However, if you need a pre-amp, EQ, a DI box and a headphone amplifier then that's a different matter! :D

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

i have played some PJB amps, but not the small ones. the thing i really liked about PJB was how musical the graphic EQ was. that's about all i can share, because i haven't ever used the bass buddy. i'm sure it will be more than adequate with the headphones -- the amp is 5W, which is close to 10 times the power you need for headphones.

robb.

I've got one (which, sadly, is now in the shop!) I haven't gotten as much use out of it as I'd like, not due to any fault of the BB, but just my lack of practice time. It's a good piece of gear, though. Robb's right about the EQ- a litle goes a long way, and the band selection is great, even for a 5-string bass. Pretty clean sound, too; I'm sure if I had better headphones it would sound even... well, better!

And the DI function is great; I've run it into the board a few times and had no problems. I even used it as a DI/EQ for my Washburn acoustic guitar; it sounds better than the built-in preamp (which I then set flat).

Davo-London has some good advice as well; depends on what your needs are. This will certainly fit the bill if you need a headphone amp/practice piece; but if you want other functions, you can either get one of those other suggestions, or patch in a cd/mp3 player or drum machine into the auxiliary inputs on the Bass Buddy.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've got one on order now from the Bass Centre in London so I shall be able to report in full once it arrives.

:thu:

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• 3 months later...

Davo, I'd really like to find out more about what sort of music software would be good to use with a PC lap-top. Also can you enlighten me regarding the 'interface'?

I tried the Bass Buddy and it didn't sound good to me. It had a constant hiss on it that nothing would sort out. Maybe it was a faulty unit or something but to cut a long story short it ended up going back.

Neil.

Archived