Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass resonance problem - dead spot-ish

Thomas Wilburn

This week I bought a second Cort Curbow 4. The first one I bought had "dead spots" on either side of every A on the fret board. I put it in scare quotes because they were a little odd--the spots moved if I retuned the strings, as if it weren't the construction but that the whole bass was resonating to 440Hz and damping those notes. It was really frustrating, because my chords were decaying into different chords (or sometimes single notes) and it's not like I can just avoid play A and A#.

So I figured it was just a bad bass, sent it back, UPS lost it, and I got reimbursed. Then I was looking around, and saw where Curbow themselves distribute the bass as well, and they set it up for you before they send it out. So I sent Curbow a note telling them that I'd liked the bass, but it had a problem with dead spots, and could they check it out before they sent it to me? Sure thing, they said. I got the bass yesterday.

Every A, A#, and B on the instrument dies after less than a half second. Just like the one I got from Musician's Friend.

I'm not thrilled about this. I'm especially not thrilled that Curbow doesn't offer returns or refunds. They're talking with Cort about it, but I'm not expecting much--I dealt with Cort before, and they're nice people but their solution was basically to replace it. Right now I'm not confident that a replacement is going to be any better. It seems like a design problem to me.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has any secret tips for fixing this bizarre problem. I'm going to try a C-clamp on the head of the bass this weekend to see if I can shift the dead spots around, but short of that, all I can think is to start replacing parts--probably starting with routing out a cheap bass body and fitting the neck/electronics to it. I like the neck, I'd like to keep it if possible, and the body's not going to fit anything else.

Any other ideas?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might help. Really fresh, bright steel rounds usually do best, imo. But I also find that, past a certain point, there's not much to be done about these problems; they just sort of have to be worked around & lived with.

If tinkering doesn't help enough, I guess I'd just flip it. There are a lot of nice 6-string basses & the prices have come way, way down.

Do folks here find that resonance is a problem in general on the C string? We already know that G strings struggle at standard bass scale lengths (hence Mr. Novax's invention); I'd expect similar if not worse problems with even higher strings, but maybe I'm wrong?

(PS if 34" is hard on the resonance of a G string, why are so many fanned-fret instruments 34" on the G side?) :confused:

On my favorite P bass, I did have a slight G sting dead spot at the 8th & 9th frets (not really bad but a little aggrivating) I changeed the bass to a BEAD tuning, using a 5 string set of flats, thus eliminating the skinny little G string. Problem cured!

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I have a Jazz Bass with 3 dead(er) notes on the G string. They are B flat, B & C. If I don't hold them down intensely, they make a kinda "ghost note". I don't really know how to describe it other than to say that the notes die quicker than the others, but the overtones hang on for a half second afterwards. I've never had this happen on any bass before. I put a different bridge & different strings on it & it still does it. I believe the neck is actually slightly twisted & is not totally level.
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

Every A, A#, and B on the instrument dies after less than a half second. Just like the one I got from Musician's Friend.

I'm sorry but this strikes me as a hopeless situation. I'm not sure the instrument is fit for purpose and (according to UK law) could be rejected as such.

This is NOT a normal deadspot - this has to be a loose neck joint or there something seriously wrong with the body.

Changing the strings etc strikes me as trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You are owed a working instrument or your money back and I wouldn't let this rest until you have one or the other. Bodging is definitely not the answer.

Alex

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

Originally posted by Thomas Wilburn:

I'm sorry but this strikes me as a hopeless situation. I'm not sure the instrument is fit for purpose and (according to UK law) could be rejected as such.

Alex

The UK has laws regulating dead spots on basses? Wow. And I thought US lawyers were totally out of control. :freak:

Ed

Originally posted by Moe Monsarrat:

I have a Jazz Bass with 3 dead(er) notes on the G string. They are B flat, B & C. If I don't hold them down intensely, they make a kinda "ghost note". I don't really know how to describe it other than to say that the notes die quicker than the others, but the overtones hang on for a half second afterwards. I've never had this happen on any bass before. I put a different bridge & different strings on it & it still does it. I believe the neck is actually slightly twisted & is not totally level.

Moe, I think this is normal for Fender-style basses. It's not quite that bad on my Yamaha J-bass, but I have learned to avoid those frets.

Does anyone know if this is a problem on 5 string basses? I've had a couple of Fender Jazz V's and I don't remember them having dead spots.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Actually I have owned quite a few Fenders over the years & haven't ever had this bad of a problem. I kinda dislike the string tension on the Fender V's B string. It's just too loose & sounds like a bedspring. I understand the fact that most Fender basses have at least one dead note in those 3 mentioned, but to have those overtones hanging on is troubling.

Hi Moe,

I've been working on Jaco's Regge and also some Bob Marley stuff. For me, it's not easy to convert from Pino to Marley but I'm trying. I have been working on the "Behind the Beat" style you discussed awhile back. Man is it effective on the slow dance music. I love it. I still want to come to Austin and get together.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

See what I mean about the connected notes & the dancers? It's something I never would have guessed would be so important. I think that playing reggae with a good drummer(like mine)will straighten you out. Until then just keep listening to it all the time. It crawls up on you & you can't get it out of your head. Come see me & we'll trade stuff & tell a few lies.

Moe,

In my head, I picture the connected notes as a saging line between two posts. Immediatly after the beat (1st post) you hit the bass note and hold it an extended length of time right up to the next note, (2nd post) then transition to the the next note instantly. The time it takes to got to the next note, IS THE BEAT. Did I explain it properly or do you have another view?

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Back to dead spots:

I might have discovered a cure (or partial cure) for G String dead spots. I was looking at the callouses on my finger tips and realized that I had none on my little finger. That meant to me that I was not exerting nearly as much pressure on the stings with that finger. I went to my bass and plucked the G string at every fret and put the same pressure on it with my index finger and I also placed the finger exactly behind the fret. There was a noticeable difference.

Most of us do not have as much strength in our little finger as we do in the others. We also, because of the stretch of the hand and fingers on most notes played on the G, many times we do not place the finger in the ideal spot behind the fret. I am sure many of you already know this but I am passing it along for the others for what it is worth.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Just played a '66 Jazz that had dead spot on the G-string for a whole octave from Bflat to Bflat! The techie in the shop said that some relief on the neck would sort it out, ie it was dead straight. Does anyone believe this?

Normally the Fender deadspot in my experience is the C# or D on the G-string. And even then it just doesn't sustain as well as the other strings. This '66 Jazz was terrible it was like a square wave, a second of constant volume and then nose dive.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Most of us do not have as much strength in our little finger as we do in the others. We also, because of the stretch of the hand and fingers on most notes played on the G, many times we do not place the finger in the ideal spot behind the fret.

I play with my little finger on all 4 (or 5) strings, so on this theory the G string should be no different from the others? And when playing in a higher position, the dead spots should all shift up several frets? This has not been my experience.

Maybe the idea is that the worst spots are made worse by a weak fretting finger. That's a plausible hypothesis, but easy to test by comparing the same spot with a weak finger & with a strong finger. Again, in my experience there's not been any difference. If someone did find this, I'd say their little finger is very weak & they need strengthening exercises.

My guess is that the only thing like a real cure, whole or partial, lies in fundamental construction.

Yes Rocky, that's it. As for the little finger, my callous on that finger is bigger than any other. Still, I don't think you should have to vary pressure on different notes. It's rather inconvienient to say the least. That's one good thing about the graphite necks & fingerboards: no dead or sweet spots. Sometimes it's the amp. I played on an SVT in Madrid (@ the Chesterfield Club) that greatly accentuated the D note on the A string. I mean it was almost twice as loud as any other note on the neck. No amout of EQ tweaking could dissuade it. I complained about it to the Spanish audio tech & he said " Oh, everybody says that." Great.

Archived