Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz basses

Barks

I know a lot of you on the forum have Jazz type basses as your main bass. As there are so many permutations and manufacturers producing 'J's' these days I thought it would be interesting to find out what route you took to your current 'J'.

Also what were the main factors that lead to the decision to buy your current bass?

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what did you end up with Rocky? Is it 'the one' or are you going to keep looking for a better one?
'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

Got a Jaguar as my "Jazz" bass. Wife bought it on Valentines Day because it was red. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

As I just mentioned in another thread, I played a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne 5 today, and was very impressed. I find it hard to believe that the MIA model could be any better! Nice.

Alex

I'd agree. The JO5 is the bass in front. (The other 3 are just as nice.)

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDdAloWiz2!gSs6jet4uwp5Br1MKUJzjd2Utn8CrmcStw9POBDU9EXPjClHTOZ1x3s*FstYpmp*363SRyW7JB7njpXvHriFHw35LpQEuVWfgstdnFiMRg/616pit.JPG

It would be hard for me to figure out what makes the US Lakies that much better - but the guys that own them say they can tell the difference.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Originally posted by zeronyne:

JBFLA, is that a Darkstar on that Glaub? How do you like it?

Good eye!

I like it a lot. Real nice/even frequency response and sweet tone. Upper register notes really sing and there's a ton of low end. It's hotter than a devil too - easily as strong a signal as my active basses. The individual poles can be adjusted for height. I've actually lowered mine more than usual because I dig in a bit. Great fingerstyle (and probably pickstyle) p'ups, maybe not so much for slap.

It's single coil, but I don't think it's as much like a standard P-Bass tone as some of the guys thought it would be. I didn't really have any preconceptions. It also has a Jazz width neck (1.5" at the nut) that fits me well.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

My '62RI MIJ is my main squeeze. I got it because I needed a gigging bass because my '75 Precision and BB400 are retired to rehearsal and recording. They have far too much sentimental vale for me to risk them getting damaged or stolen (in the case of the '75 - again!)

I won the Jazz on an ebay auction, funny thing is now I'm getting really attached to her! But I'm committed to keeping her as a gigging bass.

The Jazz is stock except for the bridge and pickguard.The neck is the thinnest of any Fender bass I've ever handled even the Geddy Lee. She has a deep, throaty growl like no other bass I've ever played.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

THE COST AND HOW MUCH MONEY I HAD AT THE TIME.

:D

ROCKY

Same here. :D

Back in my gigging days I was craving a fretless and found an old Jazz Bass that needed some TLC. The price was right, and 13 years later it's still my #1 fretless.

Originally posted by Barks:

So what did you end up with Rocky? Is it 'the one' or are you going to keep looking for a better one?

I fell in love with the 1989 USA Fender Precision Plus. Could not afford the real thing, so I made one from parts. The neck is correct but the body was a modified Fender precision. It looks exactly like the real deal but it is an imposter. But I love it , it's mine and it's paid for. Plays great, sounds great, looks great.

:thu:

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Basshappi:

My '62RI MIJ is my main squeeze. I got it because I needed a gigging bass because my '75 Precision and BB400 are retired to rehearsal and recording. They have far too much sentimental vale for me to risk them getting damaged or stolen (in the case of the '75 - again!)

I won the Jazz on an ebay auction, funny thing is now I'm getting really attached to her! But I'm committed to keeping her as a gigging bass.

The Jazz is stock except for the bridge and pickguard.The neck is the thinnest of any Fender bass I've ever handled even the Geddy Lee. She has a deep, throaty growl like no other bass I've ever played.

The mother of all sleepers. I have been able to compare mine at band practice directly to a '54P, a new MIA Jazz Deluxe, and a Lakland Skyline JO. Mine rules in the feel department although the Jazz Deluxe is more versatile tonewise. The '54P is over rated IMO And if I were playing rock I'd give the Lakland a real hard look; to me it feels as good as the MIA Jazz. Check out some Lindy Fralins if you get a chance, mine loves them.

www.ethertonswitch.com

I got my jazz bass because my squier P was just not cutting it.

Many people started saying the geddy lee signature was the shit and I loves me some rush so I checked it out.

From then on ive been endorsing it and enjoying it. Great tone and great price.

My Toby Deluxe is becoming ever more fretless Jazzomorphic. In '01 I selected the Toby thinking it would be Jazzy and give me some extra options with an active preamp. It is, in fact, utterly Jazzless. A remedy is on the way; a pair of Dimarzio Model J pickups should arrive soon. They will go in upon receipt, the preamp will be replaced with pots.
- Matt W.

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Originally posted by Barks:

I fell in love with the 1989 USA Fender Precision Plus. Could not afford the real thing, so I made one from parts. The neck is correct but the body was a modified Fender precision. It looks exactly like the real deal but it is an imposter. But I love it , it's mine and it's paid for. Plays great, sounds great, looks great.

:thu:

Rocky

Ditto. Mine really is the "Chad Thorne" signature bass; a one-off lefty walnut body I bought on Ebay; righty Warmoth neck w/ebony f'board; Carvin H50N p'ups purchased from Sweet Willie years ago. The whole thing has cost me about 300 bucks, w/another $50 to go when I add the Badass bridge. I like the Jazz configuration for all-around (though lately I'm thinking of building a P-Bass and put flats on it for the true old school vibe); Jazz basses are the nuts, IMO.

Archived