Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slap Muting

h364

Hi, ive been playing bass for nearly 2 yearsa now, been slappin for about 14 months, i still cant master the muting, popping and slappnig alone is fine, but when i play alot of the chilis stuff im not getting all the muted notes write, so basically i would like an explinaiton on how to slap mute, right to basics, i've been just 'flaoting' my finger about the fret. Thanks, Harrison

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your working on RHCP stuff, try simply lightly touching the string that you are popping. Essentially, you are popping a muted string. Flea does that quite a bit.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Hey

This is my sugestion try to do the line with all notes muted, after that start to put some notes, until u get that right.

What songs are you trying to learn?

Aeroplane?

Give it away?

Tell me Baby?

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

There's slapping on Give it Away? As always, I recommend investing in Ed Friedland's DVD for easy to follow demonstrations of good technique.
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Hi Rowbee,

As fair as I know there is.

but now not sure. although I always slapped that song to get it harder.

But I have the official Sheet music at home, and let you know tomorrow.

Now you bugged me, lol

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Not in Give it away, but the song Stone cold bush, specially the solo, like half of the actaul solo is mtuing, but still sounds great, thats what you get with muting just by mtuing a few notes makes a noramal, funky riff, sound spectacular, if i could just get a basic idea, is it just as i thought, you just slap or pop the muffled string, with your finger 'floating' over the string? Thanks,

H364...yup, that's pretty much it. You might have to touch the string(s) with more than one finger on the fretting hand to prevent artificial harmonics though.

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived