Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What would be the opposite of what I have?

SteveC

Steve, just be smart. The gift of the 414 was a beautiful thought from your wife. Even if it is not materialistically perfect, it is perfect in thought and effort.

What is the resale value of the 414? $250? Do you really need $250 towards gear so badly that you would completely disintegrate a token of love and affection so easily?

Keep it. Every time you pick it up, you should think of your wife's thoughtfulness.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by getz76:

Steve, just be smart. The gift of the 414 was a beautiful thought from your wife. Even if it is not materialistically perfect, it is perfect in thought and effort.

What is the resale value of the 414? $250? Do you really need $250 towards gear so badly that you would completely disintegrate a token of love and affection so easily?

Keep it. Every time you pick it up, you should think of your wife's thoughtfulness.

That's why I'm gonna hang on to it - and I do. I may pick up a Sadowsky outboard preamp just to give it a different sound.

Steve --

There's a nice Fodera at BassClub Chicago. . .

Kidding. . .Just kidding :)

Offhand, the best-sounding bass I have for a "smooth" sound is one (you watched me build it) that's just a Carvin body and neck, a decent set of tuners and bridge, whatever electronics, and, by way of a little not-so-scientific Dremel work) a big ol' De Armond pickup that Fender was selling a few years back.

Coupled with a Rio Grande Pitbull bridge pickup (also by way of a little not-so-scientific Dremel work) for some "bite", that combo, believe it or don't, has a smooth, woody, kinda "jazzy" tone. . .Kind of an ugly duckling, but. . .

Total cost? $700 all told. . .

And I was the last guy on earth (at that time) looking for that tone. . .Go figure. :rolleyes:

That bass still plays like a million bucks and records like crazy. . . ;)

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

I'm hoping when I get the Eden 210XST I will get some smooth bottom. Between my onboard pre and WT-550 I have lots of EQ and such to play around with so I should be able to get something decent.

If I don't have to do too much EQ'ing on my head for stage sound, I'm gonna try using the built in DI again so I can get some of that Eden tone in the PA.

Archived