Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lush Out My Bass

h364

Hi, im thinking of getting a MIM standard fender jazz, and want to lush it out, im talking deluxe fender case, deluxe 'surf' strap that i have fell in love with, i was thinking badass bridge, hipshot tuners, and anything other you guys want to come up with, electronics are probably not an option, but the little things might be ok, or of course instead of all this 'jazzing' up i could just buy a MIM deluxe jazz! Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know, if you're going to spend all that money on extras, I'd really suggest that you just buy a nicer bass to start with. If you put $200 of extras onto a $300 bass, it's still a $300 bass...it just cost you $500. And even worse, when/if you decide to sell it, you're selling a bass in which you've invested $500 for about $150. Doesn't sound so smart, does it?

If you look for a used bass in the $500 price range, you might be surprised what you'll find. (I'm assuming the MIM is about $300 and the extras would come up to around $200...modify the numbers as necessary!)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I totally agree with Dave. To put that much money into MIM STD is like throwing money out the window. If you spend $350 on the bass and another $350 on goodies you could buy a "Like New" used US Fender Jazz Deluxe. It would always be worth what you paid for it.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I've always been a Fender player and I love my MIM Jazz 5 and my P bass, but I agree with Dave and Rocky.

Unless you just want to take a guitar and modify it for the fun of it, keep looking and spend that extra cash on a better bass. Check out my post titled "Met Picker in KC". It's still on the first page.

Yamaha BB and TRB are both nice axes, and G&L and Ibanez too. They may be harder to find than a Fender, but you might get more bang for your buck, esp. in Yamaha and G&L IMO.

Happy fishing.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I agree, spend the extra money on a nicer bass.

Its like buying a 1995 chevy caviler and puting $3000 rims, lights, and hydrolics on it; when you could instead by a 2004 something with less miles and a better paint job. (sorry, a lot of people did this around my home towna nd it always baffled me.)

Jonathan

Agree with above responses ... but.

Replacing PUs or installing better pots or slotting in a pre-amp would at least improve the sound over what must be relatively cheap electrical components. Replacing hardware such as bridge and tuners doesn't really make much sense to me.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Originally posted by davio:

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

MIM STD

I'm still trying to decide if addressing this abbreviation is worth it or not. Let's just say that vacationing in Mexico isn't quite like Vegas.
Davio, I'm not sure what point you are making here. If your saying the Fender's Mexico plant is producing basses with poor quality, I could not disagree with you more. I think, IMHO, that the MIM products are much better quality "FOR THE MONEY" than the US products. I love Fenders and I admire the US models but again, I cannot justify the double and tripple the price.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by dnkritr:

I agree, spend the extra money on a nicer bass.

Its like buying a 1995 chevy caviler and puting $3000 rims, lights, and hydrolics on it; when you could instead by a 2004 something with less miles and a better paint job. (sorry, a lot of people did this around my home towna nd it always baffled me.)

Jonathan

I like your argument.... but try and find a stock car that has hydraulics, dub floaters, and 12 coats of glitter paint. There are certain things that cannot be had on a stock instrument.

However, a Badass bridge and Hipshot tuners are available on over the counter instruments. Maybe not all the same one, but you might as well start out with one of them.

FWIW, my $250 Toby D-lux has a $90 Hipshot B bridge upgrade and will probably get Hipshot ultra-lites with a D-Tuner added over time. I won't fault anyone for buying cheap and doing their own upgrades. It's fun, it's good experience, and it doesn't involve gang violence.

- Matt W.

After re-reading your post, I realized that the options you were talking about, IE: Deluxe Fender case, deluxe "Surf strap" (which I am unfamiliar with), a badass bridge and better tuners. These are all things that are not permenant changes to the instrument. You also said Electrical changes were not an option, I assume because of the cost.

If this is the limit of your changes, then I don't see any problem with your plan. I say go ahead and do it. All of these could be tranferred to a better bass later if you decide to move up. However if you do decide to spend another $300 or more on onboard electric upgrades than I would go back to my original reply and say, don't do it. Did I make any sense?

Good luck, have fun, enjoy.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Smart looking cases are all very well and good but if you're moving your gear yourself then you'd be better off with a gigbag. And if someone else is moving it for you, then I'd rather have a flight case than a normal hard case.

The tuners and bridge on MIM Fenders work fine - why change them? The former will do nothing to the sound and the latter will only have a marginal benefit.

Pimped out basses may be unique and may look cool but they rarely sound or play as good as an unpimped equal price instrument.

Alex

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Davio, I'm not sure what point you are making here. If your saying the Fender's Mexico plant is producing basses with poor quality, I could not disagree with you more. I think, IMHO, that the MIM products are much better quality "FOR THE MONEY" than the US products. I love Fenders and I admire the US models but again, I cannot justify the double and tripple the price.

Rocky

I must apologize. I was attempting humor but have, yet again, reached too far trying to pull in a pun. I was poking fun at the standard abbreviation for "standard."

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Rocky. The bass I've been using the most lately is a MIM STD J5.

Davio has a good point here. A different pickgard can often do much to personalize your bass without making a permanent change. All of the items can be removed if you decide to sell it. The modifications will do nothing to increase it's value and may even make it worth less when you go to sell it. So, keep all the original items in good condition in case you want to reinstall them.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Archived