Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bass purhcase

alokotos

i play guitar for about 4 years and i wanna start bass atm.

could u plz suggest me some 200-400 Euros/$ basses to start with ??

my favorite band is iron maiden, so this has to do with the songs i like to play.

would a squire precision be a good purchase or not ??

thnk u all guyz in advance

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome alokltos, The Squier series of basses are very nice starter basses as are the OLP

and Ibanez. Will you be buying from a local dealer or by mail order.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Try out more than one Squier if you can. Quality control can vary. Some folks seem to get some nice ones but I haven't been nearly so lucky yet IME.

I picked up an Ibanez SR300DX (around US$350 or so these days IIRC, mine was C$475) and I'm pretty happy with it so far (especially after I changed the strings) and I'll keep it till I can get a MIA Dlx Jazz.

Cheers

Newf :)

Hi Alokotos

I took by your name that u live in Greece am I right?

I would sugest you to visit www.musicstore.com and check the prices you can get a nice Ibanez with that money, it may be worth it to check it.

They deliver and costs 30 euros but depending on the height.

Have a look.

Cheers

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

In my opinion, when you are shopping for a "Basic" bass as in Squier Vintage Modified 70's at $279.00 (Musician's Friend) or the Ibnez GSR 200 @ $259.00 (MF) or the OLP MM2 @ $249.00 (MF) These basses are built for a very competative market and the quality will not vary that much. Your bass should probably appeal to you for it's design, features,feel etc. Quality of workmanship is most likely very close. Personally I am a Fender person, I really like the Squire vintage. IMHO

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

As I've mentioned recently, I was looking at the Squier Jazz Affinity and I've played several over the last few months, with no noticeable difference in quality. I compared one directly to a MIM Jazz and to be honest, the Squier got my vote.
Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

Fender has "Squier" plants in China and Indonesia.

The "Affinity" is their least expensive version. I have noticed that the Indonesia product is a little nicer than the Chinese IMHO. Squier had, I'm not sure if they still have, A standard series. I think most of these were made in Mexico and were a little higher quality than the Affinity IMHO.

The New Vintage series seems to be an upgraded model, I don't know where it is made. It recieved a very good review from BP mag. You should try to see one, I think it is the model to buy if you are going with Squier.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Archived