Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Freddy Fender

Rocky McDougall

Texans are mourning the loss of Freddy Fender today. His many contributions to music will live on. He was a very unique and talented entertainer. We will miss him but we still have his music. Rest in Peace, Freddy.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Brown:

Great name for music, eh?

Freddy's real name was Baldemar Herta, you can see why he changed it. Several of his songs reached No.1 on the country charts back in the mid 1970's. He recieved a Grammy in 2002 for one of his albums and two Grammys when he was with the Texas Tornadoes (Doug Sahm 1990)

He was also in the movie "Milagro Bean Field War" Directed by Robert Redford. In 1999 he was awarded a star on the "Hollywood Walk of Fame"

He said he was proud to be TEx-Mex BeBob singer.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Freddy inspired me not as much for his music as for the concept that a Latino could make it in the business writing and playing music other than Latin music. Not that I hate Latin music (I find it an essential aid to learning rhythm) but there weren't a lot of Freddys around when I started playing.

Thanks for giving me the courage to persevere, Freddy! :thu:

Archived