Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help urgently needed - Circuits

Hi,

I have been inspired. As such I have dug out my old electric bass, but I need some help to start me off. I made it several years ago, but never got round to wiring it up! Now I need some help in working out the circuits.

I have a jack socket , a single split pick up, a volume control and tone control, so theoretically should be quite simple...

There are four wires coming out of the pick ups, yellow, brown, green, white. The tone and volume controls have three connections each. The Jack socket has two. There is a capacitor in there and an earth to bridge.

Please ask away...!

Thanks,

Jack

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.guitarnucleus.com/wiring.html

This looks quite simple but it doesn't have a ground wire to the bridge as the old circuit on as mine did. How does the signal ground if it has no link to the outside world? It also shows one + and one - from the pickup. As I am split do I just take the two + and two - I have as being one wire?

http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/product/WDUPH1101

This one has a ground to bridge?

Using a ground to bridge doesn't ground the bass. The ground wire connected to the jack grounds your bass when you plug it in.

Grounding the bridge aids noise reduction.

Some say it's a dangerous habit, making you susceptible to electric shock if you are plugged into a dodgy power outlet and things turn pear shaped, but you can over come that risk by taking a $5 outlet tester with you and testing any outlet before you plug in if you're likely to play anywhere suspect.

I would ground the bridge.

I get the impression you're taking about a single coil P bass split pup here ( apicture would be helpful).

If so, then the + from one pup should connect to the - of the other. Essentially you have just created a humbucker.

You then use the remaining + and - leads to connect your pup to the volume/tone circuit as appropriate.

Looks similar to what Ive seen already but a lot clearer so thanks a lot!!

P.S. Does anyone know of a good fretless bass tuition book, I've heard good things about the absolute beginners books but think they assume you are fretted!

Originally posted by 165721:

P.S. Does anyone know of a good fretless bass tuition book, I've heard good things about the absolute beginners books but think they assume you are fretted!

Might have a better chance of getting this answered if you start a new topic for it.

Fretless P-bass eh! I've got one for sale if it all goes horribly wrong!

Actually, you've inspired me into maybe replacing my 1980 fretless P-bass neck with a fretted Jazz. I could make a frankenstein bass. A 1980 P-bass is never going to be collectable is it?

Good luck with your rewire.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Archived