Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Technical Issues

h364

Right can i just get something straight, you have like a normal amp head which is the amp and the eq and stuff, or you can have a pre-amp, now is it if you have a pre-amp do you have to have a power amp? Because i understand that pre-amps are way cheaper than heads, and power amps are pretty cheap too. But anyway i just boight a boss g2-6b, its truely amazing and it has its on little pre-amp 'zone' it has like 12 knobs and various swiches ect, now if i were to buy a power amp, would this give me something around the 400w mark that i can power bass cabs with? Because this would be much cheaper than buying a head and cab. Thanks, Harrison

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GT-6B?

Some people say that it needs more power for a pre-amp.. others say it'll work fine. I think you would be able to get a decent working sound from it. You'll really want to work the EQ in the unit... Running it into a 'bass amp' just gives you your initial sound to work from with the 6B

Join up on the www.yahoogroups.com for the gt-6b allotta info there about the unit.

I run mine into a Redhead combo and I like it mucho.

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Yes, you should be able to use that Boss unit as a pre-amp; and then get a power amp to send that signal & some juice the speakers.

Will that give you "something around the 400w mark"? Only if the power amp you get is rated at 400 watts at what ever ohmage the speakers are rated. The pre-amp/multi-effects has no considerable wattage of its own.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

IN simple terms, guitar amp heads have their pre-amps and the power amp in the same cabinet. A pre-amp basically has all of the controls for adjustment. The power amp has (in most cases) just has an off-on switch. You can get the two units individually (Pre-amp and power amp) these are normally referred to as "seperates" and are usually designed to go in a Rack. The main thought in seperates is that they do not effect each other with electric interferance (less noise) and ligher when carried individually. When combined as a unit, size and compactness is an issue. When seperate they have room for more complex circuits etc.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Yeah thanks, i've just read that in most amp heads its just the both built in, so ive been looking at a lovely peavey power amp, something like 2x450w into 8ohms so that would be cushty, then i could get a nive double 4x10 set up, that would be awemsome! And it would save alot of money over buying a head!

Even more simply:

A preamp converts the relatively weak signal coming from your instrument (bass in this case) to something just a little more powerful that often goes by the name "line level".

A power amp takes a line level input and makes it much louder.

It's true that extra features like EQ can be found in preamps, but a preamp doesn't have to do anything other than what I've described above.

Instead of buying a $1600 Ampeg SVT-CL head, you can buy a $500 Ampeg SVP-CL preamp and, say, a $500 Crown XTi 1000 power amp. I'm comparing apples and oranges here, to be sure, but the SVP/XTi combination is a 1400W system (bridged mono with 4 ohm load) for $1000 ($600 less than the SVT head).

Originally posted by h364:

Yeah thanks, i've just read that in most amp heads its just the both built in, so ive been looking at a lovely peavey power amp, something like 2x450w into 8ohms so that would be cushty, then i could get a nive double 4x10 set up, that would be awemsome! And it would save alot of money over buying a head!

I have a stereo 4x10 set up. I bought two identical heads to drive the cabs. After hanging out here for some time, I feel I'd be better off with a stereo preamp and stereo power amp.

With identical cabs you can run them

mono, with just one cab

mono, with both cabs

stereo, with one cab per channel

The biggest problem I have now is that for smaller gigs a 4x10 is too much. (And to think I originally wanted to get another pair of cabs to run stereo, with two cabs per channel! Can you imagine hauling four 4x10s to a gig? :D ) So I might look into 2x10s or 1x12s.

And that's the point I wanted to make. Are you sure you need two 4x10s? There are lots of guys on this forum that have big 1000+ watt power amps and are only using one (high quality) 2x10 or 1x12 cab. Plenty loud, they say. If they need more oomf, they can add a second cab.

Over on the Keyboard Corner there are a lot of guys running stereo systems. The approach is a little different, though. A lot of guys are running powered cabs (either 1x15 or 1x12). A powered cab is essentially a cab with a power amp built in. They are plenty loud with something like a pair of 300 W JBL Eon15 G2.

Anyway, just giving you some more options to consider. Carry on!

Archived