Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spend on amp or cab?

slowfinger

I'm thinking about upping my noise making ability, and have a budget of about $US1000 equivalent. I'm wondering whether you think it is better to go for:

- a good amp and cheap cab, (eg Genz-Benz GBE400 + Harke VX410)

- cheap amp and good cab, (eg Ashdown EB180H + SWR Workingpro 410) or

- average both. (eg Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown MAG410T)

I mention these combinations (from a year old catalogue) as examples only - I'm asking your opinion of what principle I should persue in my early research.

I'm thinking of 300-400watt amp and a 410 cab. Also like the idea of something like the Nemesis NC210 because of its lightness. I play an Epi EB-3 (black, not cherry) and our band does Brit rock covers - Stones, Beatles, Who etc. There is too much choice. I have not tested anything.

My Crate BT50 is fine for practice at home, but not up to it for anything else I want to do.

I seem to recall seeing comments on this sort of thing mentioned in passing in amp/cab threads, but can't think how to frame a search that would get good results.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion, if you are primarily interested in LOUD, your money would be best spent in the speaker cabinet. The tone quality between a high end amp and a midddle of the line amp is very difficult to hear the differece. If the wattage output of the two amps is the same, you should get the same volume. The speakers and the speaker cabinet however are the easiest to hear the difference. The higher quality speakers and their enclosures will endure under full power usage. I would go with the SWR 4X10 and the less expensive amp. IMHO

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I'll add to the guy above. I've heard some Hartkes are better than their rep, so I'd give it a go. But going by the trend, I'd definitely choose the decent speakers with a cheaper head, particuarily a used decent head.

Good luck man.

In Skynyrd We Trust

See if you can find a used Eden Metro (400w @4ohms and 600w @2 ohms). I seen a used one here going for C$1100. It's a 2x10 but it's awesome IMO and you still add another cab if you need to.

Used Yorkville BM400 combo's are a good bang for the buck. They put out 300w @8ohms and 400w @4 ohms and the removeable head is 2 space rackmountable. I know, I have one. Paid C$500 for one in mint shape. :thu::D

Cheers

Newf :)

I agree with Rocky...if you're going to cut corners, cut the corners on the amp, not the cab. Hook a cab that is 6db more sensitive than it's predecessor to a 400 watt amp, and the amp now sounds like an 800 watt amp.

Here's one thought I should toss out...you might want to consider going with a pre-amp/power-amp combination rather than an integrated head. It's two pieces instead of one, but you get some benefit out of that.

For instance, recently I sold my SWR SM-900 head (800 watts bridged mono @ 4 ohms, 1% THD) and replaced it with used BBE BMax preamp + QSC PLX-3002 power amp (3000 watts bridged mono @ 4 ohm, 0.1% THD).

Total out of pocket cost: $20.

My satisfaction with my rig: Priceless. :D

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• 3 weeks later...

After a bit of testing I ended up with one of these:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_bl_hd_600bl.html

and one of these:

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=23

While shopping I realised that I would have trouble manhandling a 410 cab, and concluded that a 210 (or a 115) would serve me well for 90% of what I need to do. If I need a bigger sound I can hire a 410 for around $US25 a night.

The G-K head is quite light, has a nice sound and enough knobs and buttons for my purposes. The cab, while not a lightweight one, is a manageble size and weight and again has a nice warm sound, with enough punch for me. The 2 cost a bit under $US1000 ($AU1250).

I'm a happy duck - till the next GAS attack.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

Let us know how you first rehearsal and gig go!

Tom

Well I have to laugh now, but at loud practice last Monday I was spitting chips. Our wonderful lead git just turned up more!!!!!!!! He knew I had a new rig but would not be outdone if you know what I mean.

He is a naturally gifted player - never had lessons, can pick up a new instrument and play it, picks up new songs in a couple of minutes etc - but likes to stand out from the mix - in a big way. Major PIA in that respect. (I'm safe defaming him here, cos he never visits here!)

Apart from that the rig went ok - it's never going to blow my leg hair off, but I'm quite pleased with the tone, if you can say that an Epi EB-3 has any apart from a dull thud!

Next gig is Friday week - we are the entertainment at our staff end of year function - and we expect to have fun. (I work as a computer tech in a small girls' school)

Teachers know how to play up, I have found.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Archived