Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Too many guitars in the band?

Ross Brown

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ross:

Everyone has crises at times, and family does come first. If he's really having a tough time, give him some support. However, you should make it clear that if he's going to be unavailable, he should let you guys know that ahead of time out of respect for the whole group.

From reading this thread, it really sounds to me like what you need is a dedicated singer rather than another guitarist. I'd go that direction if I were you...

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Thanks Dave,

I have mixed emotions. I do agree that family comes first. If I can find a solution that works for everyone, I would be happy to be accommodating. I also agree that honesty and open discussion is best, if all are mature enough to go that route.

The question about an additional guitarist (with vocals) represents some of my brainstorming on a good solution to this problem. But, just yesterday another guy in the band (lead guitarist) shared with me that he really had mixed emotions about this other guy not having time to dedicate to the band. Normally, this guy says nothing. This is concerning to me.

Maybe I am feeling a little selfish but I dont really feel like helping someone else work through their issues. Been there, done that. This is about showing up, playing, working hard and coming up with something that reflects that. That is fun. We are flexible but work pretty hard at getting songs learned and rehearsed, etc. We all have families that come first too. A scheduled (or cancelled) rehearsal affects more people than just the band members. There is a ripple effect. Our families schedules are affected just as much. Also, I practice 1-3 hours a day and really, really look forward to rehearsal and getting out to play Crap, now I am whinning.

Oh well, I am not saying anything that most of us dont already know. I am not sure what we will end up doing. I am sure we will air this out as a band and come to some sort of conclusion.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I just lost my lead guitarist and drummer from our new band (only 2 months old) The problem was, they did not want to dedicate the time and effort that is takes to assemble a new band and 3 sets of music. They were much happier to just jam on a regular basis. Finding the right musicians that have the desire, have the time, and few other commitments to get in the way is very difficult. In trying to replace these guys, I am going to be much more selective to avoid the same thing from happening again. Also, with regard to family, we must realize that most wives look at our music involvement no differently than if we play too much golf.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

Also, with regard to family, we must realize that most wives look at our music involvement no differently than if we play too much golf.

Rocky

I gave up coaching football to dedicate time to this. My wife never complains. I don't want to give her reason to.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Actually I'm trying to put a coffeehouse band together with three guitarists (although sometimes I play mandolin or flute instead). One guy does a pretty good job playing rhythm by himself, and I play hymns with him on mando some Sundays and it works out. However, he has had little band experience, and finds it hard to see why he can't just play what he feels all the time when it's three guitarists! So I guess for the sake of the project I'll do the real simple hits on some of the tunes. No problem to me - proud and glad to do it. But he's the one who NEEDS to learn some of these things! (I certainly don't want to discourage him though. It's his church, and they welcomed me with open arms when I walked in with the mandolin - they even invited me to play with them that morning! Plus which he sings nice on certain tunes.)

I remember when I starting playing in a band with another guitarist, keyboard, bass and drums. They had to give me a "rigorous re-education" as Keith Richards puts it - in a nice way, but in a full band you CAN'T play the same way as if it's a solo act, or two guitars alone - a fact I had to learn. I'm glad it wasn't three guitars in that outfit!

Actually, there's no law that says all 3 guitarists have to play all the time on 100% of the tunes, is there? Maybe sitting out a tune or two, or certain sections, would be the best contribution you could make! Especially if it's a quiet tune with beautiful lyrics and nice harmony vocals....

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Hey Ross:

Everyone has crises at times, and family does come first. If he's really having a tough time, give him some support. However, you should make it clear that if he's going to be unavailable, he should let you guys know that ahead of time out of respect for the whole group.

From reading this thread, it really sounds to me like what you need is a dedicated singer rather than another guitarist. I'd go that direction if I were you...

Dave

I second that motion. Especially since with more than one guitarist you can bet that one of them will be playing in the basses space.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

In a trio, if one is sick, has car trouble, or can't make the gig for a valid reason, you are in big trouble.

Rocky

Yeah, but you could say that about drummers as well... and there aren't too many bands that bother with a backup drummer. ;)

I think the answer to "how many guitars" depends a lot on how simply you are prepared to play.

If you're willing to just play roots all night, it could work.

But if you want a bigger role than that, then the fewer guitars the better. OTOH, I suppose it could work if you played something that was completely different to what the guitarists are playing. Counterpoint and all that.

Archived