Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can I send a power amp thru a powered monitor?

Situation: We have a Carvin PA620 (200w) powered mixer, Peavey 75w powered monitor, Randall monitor. I know the gear isn't loud enough but I was thinking about getting a used 150w power amp for the monitors (vocals) so we can hear ourselves a little better on stage. I'd hook up the power amp to the monitors but I'm not sure what to do since we have a POWERED monitor. Can I send a power amp thru a powered monitor? Is there a way to turn off the power on the powered monitor so I can use it as a plain monitor?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, it would not be wise to send a powered feed into another power amp, but there should be a place on your powered mixer to send out an [i]unpowered[/i] send to your power amp. On these things there is usually a way to return the send back to the mixer and [i]its[/i] power amp so that you can still run your passive monitor. So it might look something like this: Carvin Mixer ---"preamp out/effects send/etc"--> active monitor ---monitor "link" or parallel connection ---> Carvin "preamp in/effects return/etc" I know it sounds complicated but it can be done, it just requires some extra cable. But don't run a powered line into something else that's powered. -Casey

Archived