Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Best FX Brand Of All Time?

h364

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on how you looks at it.

If you want uniform looking boxes that make good sounds, Boss probably leads that market.

If you want the "best" of each type of effect then prepare yourself for hours of reading and high-dollar processors that have been out of production for years. There are a lot of reputations and hearsay, but it comes down to your ears.

- Matt W.

I'd say "Boss", simply because whatever effect you want, they probably make it. They make a huge range of FX and the quality is really consistent.

Sure, some people make better wahs or delays or whatevers, but they specialize. Across the board, though, you can't beat Boss.

I think Ibanez made some pretty good pedals which gave Boss a run for their money (look at the Tube Screamer), but it was Boss that grabbed the ball and ran.

Electro Harmonix! Of course, you need three pedal boards to carry then as they are FRIGGIN' HUGE pedals. But they're shiny and have lots of nice sliders and knobs, and even better- some have tubes! And they sound good, too.

Ok; they're not everyone's cup of tea. Got to agree that Boss is a default producer; in that if you can't find a boutique one you want, Boss has at least a "good enough" model of just about every pedal you can imagine (as they guys above have mentioned).

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by Danzilla:

Electro Harmonix! Of course, you need three pedal boards to carry then as they are FRIGGIN' HUGE pedals. But they're shiny and have lots of nice sliders and knobs, and even better- some have tubes! And they sound good, too...

Beat me to it. Their pedals also have really cool names, like Bass Balls! :thu: (You know the first one was owned by Paul McCartney, don't you??? :D )

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Beat me to it. Their pedals also have really cool names, like Bass Balls! :thu: (You know the first one was owned by Paul McCartney, don't you??? :D )

(Best Ed Mcmahon voice): I did not know that!

Wait... that would sound better with my best VINCE McMahon voice. Followed by a steel chair to the skull.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Eventide.......'nuff said.

Well...ok...so I might want to toss Universal Audio (tho the only "fx" they make would be compressors and eqs....but really good ones!!

On a similar note the older Lexicon stuff is tres nice (the newer stuff, after they were bought by Harman/Digitech, is not so good....

For pedals, tho'....I hafta go with Fulltone (not just the BassDrive either...the ChoralFlange, Trem and Tape delay are all great pedals for bass!)

EBS is nice but a bit "lifeless" for my tastes.

And I absolutely love my Demeter Compulator and Tremulator pedals (and on that note, my Demeter Real Reverb is the finest sounding reverb...bar none--even Eventide--that I have used/heard. It is a bit on the pricey side ($800 for an analog spring reverb with no presets, menus, midi etc etc...but worth every damn cent! It does one thing, and does it REALLY well.)

So, in a nutshell: Eventide, UA, older Lexis, Fulltone and Demeter.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

I did a search on this site for Yamaha's magicstomp; no matches. I'm sure it's not the best ever, but for the price (mine was $79.99, free shipping, no tax at musiciansfriend.com) I think it's worthy of an honorable mention/bang for the buck. From the software that comes with it I can access any of the effects available on the other two magicstomp versions (and save them to my unit) for when I record guitar, etc. The software did take me a little bit of learnin', but now it's a snap. It sounds great, and everything (and I mean everything) is tweakable. Probably too tweakable. Blows doors off my old Zoom 506 (well, no suprise due to the 506's status as a dinosour). Makes me want a stereo bass rig.

Anybody else using the magicstomp?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived