Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strange--Carvin tuners disentigrating!

Snowdog79

Hello all.

I've had my Carvin LB76 for about nine years now, and it's been a sturdy workhorse this whole time. However, recently it began breaking in a way I've never even heard of before.

In the past two month three of my tuners have broken. The shaft itself is snapping down where it connects to the mechanism--one at rehearsal, one while changing strings, and one in the middle of a gig! While I don't mind replacing parts on my bass, at the same time I wonder if anyone else has ever run into a similar problem.

Thoughts?

~Jeremy Hull

hullbass@gmail.com

www.myspace.com/Jeremyhull

www.myspace.com/cowpunkHolyMoly

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume you are talking about the shaft on the tuning ear. I have never experienced it even on basses 40 years old. I would put another brand on it. That shaft is under no strain except when tuning??????

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I've never heard of such a thing either, but it doesn't surprise me that they are breaking at roughly the same time. Metal fatigues over time and it makes sense that they would fatigue equally, assuming they were manufactured at the same time (probably from the same pot of not-quite-hard-enough alloy).

Did you buy the bass new? Do you have the receipt or warranty information? If so, give Carvin a call. I wouldn't expect anything, but they may just send a set of tuners your way at no charge or at a good discount.

- Matt W.

If I were Carvin and found out about this I would send you all new tuners, warranty or no warranty. This should never happen. Send the broken pieces back with a nice letter. I think they will make it right.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Rocky3840:

If I were Carvin and found out about this I would send you all new tuners, warranty or no warranty. This should never happen. Send the broken pieces back with a nice letter. I think they will make it right.

Rocky

Yeah, hey, good luck with that.

Based on my experience with Carvin customer service, I wouldn't hold my breath for this.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived