Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigantour 2006 - OKC (Finally, w/pic!)

jmrunning3

WOW! I went to Gigantour last night in OKC. What an incredible evening.

Overkill: DD Verni I had never seen play before. I've never been a big Overkill fan, but I like his Bronx Casket Co. stuff. They are certainly aggressive and they put on a great show with lots of audience participation.

Arch Enemy: What can I say? They KILLED! Sharlee D'Angelo was all over the stage and he was playing hard. I could see the low strings wobbling, he was picking so hard! Also, I got to meet him AND get all their autographs.

Opeth: For me, they are unparalleled. If you are familiar with their music, they played "Windowpane" which floored me, because it is to far from a head-banging song, yet it's one of my favorites. Also, Martin Mendez is awesome to watch. He is all over the fretboard, very melodic, and I even saw him thumb-slapping on several passages. I love his technique.

Lamb of God: Not a big fan, but obviously an audience favorite. I didn't watch their set in any great detail.

Megadeth: 90 minutes of thrash bliss. They played one new song, "Washington is Next", and pulled a lot of their early material. The only disappointment for me was they didn't play the 'jam' version of "She-Wolf", just the CD version. James Lomenzo has picked up the low end very well and he's a very active player. He picked all David Ellefson's parts perfectly. The new song was the only one he played finger-style. His intro to "Peace Sells..." sounded great: I loved his on-stage tone. Oh, and I got my picture taken with the whole band! I'll post it soon!

If you have an opportunity to go, I recommend it.

Horns up!

\m/ \m/

http://www.gigantour.com/megadethphoto/091906OKLAHOMACITY/lo_res/lo_IMG_5219.jpg

It took nearly two weeks but the pics are finally up. I know I should be wearing black, but I left straight from work that day. Boy, do I look out of place or what?

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, the mosh pits can get dangerous. Amazingly, even a couple of fights broke out IN the mosh pits. Can you imagine?

davio: I've now seen them twice this year, and would go again just for them. Then again, Arch Enemy's twin lead's were inspiring too.

Maybe here's your chance: Fri Oct 6 Tampa, FL St Pete Times Forum 2 Stages/All Bands 4:30 Indoor

Seamy: It's too bad the tour doesn't swing through Europe and the UK. You'd love! then again, you have Donnington, Download, and Wacken! Lucky dog!

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

i used to be into megadeth, but now i'm really not into metal at all. however, i have to say that i enjoyed megadeth's "tornado of souls" on the gigantour site. lomenzo's tone is really incredible in that recording -- the low end is really round and warm, but there's still this really nice mid/high cut.

i'm enjoying the smashup's "rachel's day" right now.

robb.

I've not been into Metal for a few years, but in 91 i went to the Clash of the Titans tour - Suicidal Tendencies, Testament, Megadeth and Slayer. That was heavy! Robert Trujillo - what a player!
The bass player's job is to make the drummer sound good - Jack Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Archived