Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new pups?

wade_g

I got my semi-weekly email from Musician's Friend, and for some reason I went to their 'Hot Buys' link and I saw these.

Original \'62 P bass pickups.

Think these are worth the money? I've got a Yamaha 4 string that's been sitting in my garage forever because I loved the play but never loved the tone. I have thoughts (delusions mostly) of modifying it. Most of those came from reading about the mod-adventures on here.

I've never priced any pups before. Anyone think that these 'originals' would turn my Yamaha into a great pbass?

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pickup changes can often make a bass go from "meh" to "wow". i have a beginner's P clone made of plywood that was relatively unremarkable until i changed the pickup. changing pickups is a standard playbook move for SX (from rondomusic) and MIM fender basses.

you should be looking at reverend P pickups . i bought a set for $18; they've reduced the price to $12. i don't think you can do much better, both in terms of sound and value. reverend used to make really great basses, and these are left over from that. originally they had pickups by kent armstrong.

i imagine the fender original '62 pickup sounds really good, too, but it's hard to say no to a pickup that's a quarter of the price. and both myself and 09 have had extremely good results with the reverend pickup. 09 even devoted a web page to his work .

enjoy!

robb.

Originally posted by robb.:

you should be looking at reverend P pickups . i bought a set for $18; they've reduced the price to $12. i don't think you can do much better, both in terms of sound and value. reverend used to make really great basses, and these are left over from that. originally they had pickups by kent armstrong.

i imagine the fender original '62 pickup sounds really good, too, but it's hard to say no to a pickup that's a quarter of the price. and both myself and 09 have had extremely good results with the reverend pickup. 09 even devoted a web page to his work .

enjoy!

robb.

I am gonna jump in on this one too. Robb told me about the deal on those Reverend p/ups when I was looking for a replacement for my Yamaha RBX-260, and I got one. It came in the original Kent Armstrong box, even, and it sounds gorgeous. And, I paid $12.00 and shipping for it. You can't beat a deal like that.

I cannot say enough good about Reverend, and their customer service. I got a Reverend Goblin amp from a local retailer, and while it was under warranty, it developed a problem. The jerk retailer totally punked out on me, wouldn't even call the company for me on a warranty repair. I won't be going back ther again.

But, I called in to Reverend myself, and Joe Naylor himself answered the phone. They paid for shipping to get the amp into their shop to look at it, fixed my problem, and shipped it back, again at their cost. On the way back, the reverb tank shot craps, so they are sending me out another one, no charge.

I hold those guys in the highest regard, and I gladly and confidently recommend them to anyone. They definitely know how.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Thanks guys. Thats what I needed. Lots of times it comes down to someone willing to risk the money on trying something less expensive hoping that its not cheap.

And Davo, I thought their use of the word Original was pretty silly too.

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

Aarrrr, I got me Reverend pickups justa wee few weeks ago. Haven't rigged them to a bass guitarrrrr yet. Mayhaps one of them lubber SX basses be just the thing for 'em. I'll have to start harassing me ol' wench for some left over loot.

Oops... wrong thread! :D

Consider this a third vote for the $12 Reverend/Kent Armstrong pickup. Best pickup deal around!

Archived