Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music Man S.U.B Or Fender Jazz?

h364

Hi Every one, im strongly thinking of buying a new standard fender jazz at xmas, although i did see a Ernie Ball Music Man S.U.B on ebay, it includes a flightcase strap and good quality lead, for £200 roughly $400, i was wondering what you guys thought on this, i would love a sting ray but the £1k price tag put me way off! So if i could get some thoughts on this, or maybe something similar say a sterling our they the same rough price and quality? Thanks, Harrison

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it really depends on what you want. The Jazz bass is probably the most versatile. That said, the newer Stingray's and Sterling's with two pickups approach a similar level of versatility. I love the sound and playability of my Stingray5. However, it's the older single-pickup model, and it's not quite as versatile as the newer dual-pup models or a jazz bass. It's not as versatile, but it does a fantastic job of delivering the tones that it has available.

Have you played either?

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Im only 13 you see, so i know like nothing about all these fancy tones and stuff i just need to own a good bass, im currently playing a Squire Precison upgrade, i wanted more of an 'interdediate' bass, if you know what im saying, i just wanted to know what bass would last me long enough, for me to learn all the bas playing know how about versatility ect. Thanks, Harrison

If you like the feel of your Squire, you could upgrade the electronics, maybe drop in a Seymour Duncan Antiquities.....I seem to recall that Jeremy and his friends were unable to tell the difference between a real 60's P and a Fernandes with the Antiquities pick-up. Otherwise, it's hard to beat a Jazz for all around use.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Right everyone ive been talking to someone from Bass Central, and they said they would be willing to ship over basses, this might not mean much to all of you, but let me sum it up if i get one shipped i could get a fender american deluxe with a case, for the same price as a standeard fender jazz (mexican) yeah, exactly! So what do you guys recomend i ahve around $1k to spend!

Do you mean if you order from USA instead of buying from a dealer there in the UK?????

By all means, If you can get a USA Deluxe for the same money, Get it. This is a no brainer.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Get the Stingray. If your gonna spend that kind of money, try to get it. The Jazz might be an industry standard, but in my opinion the Stingray just walks all over it for tone. But then I'm young and stupid and still have a lot to learn...
"I'm a real boy!" - Pinnochio

one point to add is that the S.U.B. will sound more like your precision bass than the jazz will. i don't know if that's good or bad for you. also be aware that ernie ball is discontinuing the S.U.B. they won't discontinue support for it, of course, but they've stopped taking orders for new ones. so once they're gone, they won't come back.

you can find both passive and active S.U.B.s, so that might make a difference. for the tones that i like, a jazz is nice, but a musicman is better. for me, it all comes down to feel. which one feels better? if you can find a S.U.B. and a fender USA jazz deluxe in the UK, try them both. you'll know pretty quickly which you prefer.

robb.

The American Deluxe Fender is the top of the line J-Bass while the S.U.B. is on the low end of Ernie Ball's stuff. I would get the Fender if I could get it at the price you're talking about. You may not be able to dial in a MM tone, but you can get a somewhat similar P-Bass tone if you solo the neck pickup and play near the fingerboard.It's not exact, but most people accept it as being close enough for them (including Marcus Miller)....... IMHO, you can never really go wrong with a Fender........especiallly their top of the line model.....
"sometimes you're the baseball. Sometimes you're the bat."

You've probably already bought your bass, but for what it's worth, I have a Stingray and it is incredibly versatile. I get really IMPRESSIVE frequencies both low and high. However, I use an Eden rig and this particular combination gives me a hiss. With other rigs there's not a problem. Go figure. Also, when I've taken it into the studio I have a hiss again and I have to ground it. For the Stingray, I'd suggest that you play it through a rig similar to what you already have (or are planning to get in the future) before you buy. The other thing is playability and feel. This is one of the easiest basses I've ever played. It's very responsive: sound, speed, and technique (finger, slap, pick, tap). I love the sound of a Fender but I feel like I'm working too much compared to a Stingray.

Originally posted by h364:

...from Bass Central, and they said they would be willing to ship over basses...

I don´t know what the import rules are in UK, but if I order something from outside the EU to Sweden, I have to pay a customs fee (+3,9%) and VAT (+25%) based on the purchase cost AND the shipping cost. Check that first, so you don´t get any unpleasant financial surprises..
What ever...

Archived