Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm ordering for a 5 string axe

TShakazBlackRoots

Blessings all.

Hope yo all well. I'm ok 'down this way' holding it down. Recently had a Reggae Fest of sorts down by the lake, on the beach ;):thu:

Wasn't hard concentrating despite the many ladies on show... :D:D I'll post the pix asap.

Back to the topic: The 5 string basses seem to have a 'boomy' sound that kind of hides the notes....that's what I always thought. I'm beginning to think maybe it's the players over here who don't have a good touch and tone. Recently, I detuned to B-E-A-D. Good, but it ain't the same.

So I'm gonna order for a fiver from Musicians friend....a Yamaha TRB1005, OR the Steinberger Spirit XZ-25 headless (white). Which one would you guys prefer....bare in mind I am predominantly a Reggae bassist.

Thanx alot, One Love :)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm partial to the Steinberger Spirit 5s (and am eagerly waiting for them to get back in stock so I can pick up one of the ash-bodied ones) but the reason I'm partial to them may well put you off them. They have one of the narrowest 5-string necks (1-5/8" wide at the nut) and string spacings at the bridge (I can't find my measurement of it from back when I had one before because search is currently unavailable on another board where I posted it).

So if you want a smaller neck on a 5 (which I do) and you don't mind the very close spacing at the bridge (I make do) then a Steinberger Spirit XZ-25 might work for you.

Sonically I find them "OK" - the have EMG Selects which aren't great and aren't terrible. The pots are cheap and lots of people recommend replacing them. IMO the overall construction is decent as is the hardware - basic but highly functional.

I've never tried a TRB but I see they are 35" scale (where the XZ-25 is 34" scale) which some folks prefer for a B string and it's active where the XZ-25 is passive.

But I wanted to make sure you were aware of the narrow neck and tight string spacing on the XZ-25 since some folks don't like that at all.

craigb @ TB, G&LDP, the Dudepit (boek @ Dudepit 1)

These are both good choices for reggae.

Bear in mind, however, that the Spirit uses double ball end strings, not the regular single ball end strings. You may find it difficult to obtain these locally, and they generally cost more than the single ball end strings per set. The advantage to the double ball end system is that it does stay in tune better, but to be honest, compared to the Yamaha you mentioned, it's a small difference at best. Yamaha's stock hardware is generally quite good. I should know; I own two basses from them, a 1987 BB300, and a 2001 RBX 765 A-II 5 string. Neither of them have been modified, except for strap locks. :)

At the moment, two manufacturers make the double ball end strings. There are some others but the ones I quote here are well-known bass string makers: La Bella , and D\'Addario . D'Addario as a brand tends to be available in more stores than the La Bella's, but very few local stores tend to carry the double ball ends (at least where I live, anyway). It may depend on the demand whereever you live. It's likely that you'll buy most double ball end sets through the mail/internet.

The active electronics on the Yamaha will be an advantage. For instance, if you set the EQ controls flat on the bass, with both pickups on full, and the volume, say, about 80% of the way up, then tweak the amp, you should have a fine tone right away. The reason for setting the bass eq flat is so that if you need to tweak anything later in a show, you'll save yourself a few seconds from running back and forth to the amp.

My pick? The Yamaha, no question. It has a better range of tones, and the neck profile is a joy to play with. Even with the bit of extra scale length, I think the Yamaha should play well.

Two thoughts:

1) Double-ball strings are a pain to find and expensive at best. Very limited choices. I've never played one of the Steinberger Spirit basses, but in general I haven't seen particularly good comments about them.

2) It's hard to go wrong with Yamaha. Agreed with Taz, good hardware, good playability, rugged and usually quite problem and defect free. Most of the Yamaha's have a tone that's just a little too smooth for my tastes, but in general Yamaha makes pretty nice basses (my first bass was a Yamaha BB300 Taz!).

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

This is a no brainer choice for me, as I've been waiting for the right time to get a TRB. I like 'em alot. Big fat sound anywhere on the neck. But if the Steinberger speaks to you...

Happy fishing!

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Thanx all! :thu: My BASSic instinct suggests the Yamaha. If I could afford it, my dream bass is the TRB5PII Buvinga :thu: . Looks awesome, costs alot too.

I do have big fingers so I need spaced strings and an ample neck. I'd totally forgotten about the double ball strings :eek: . Thanx for highlighting that for me. ;)

When I get my axe, I'll let you know. I'm also getting the AKG WMS40 PRO Guitar/Bass Wireless System w/GB40 Guitar Bug , a bass case, gig bag and a Moody strap! :D Christmas has definately come early! Fingers crossed. ;)

One Love

Archived