Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a ? for you bass vets..

Ayatollah Watts

I got a bass that I love it feels great sounds decent*, but there is some kinda internal wiring issue... the slightest touch of the pickup makes this horrible scratching sound.. bout how much would it cost to replace that, and is it something a simpleton like myself can replace.
Pain teaches what pride won't let you learn...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is it active or passive. how high are your pickups. it could be that they are too high. it could be a messed up wire. if it is active it could get pricey but passive replacements for pickups pots and wires are not expensive.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

Does it crackle when you touch anything else?

Could just be a bad grounding. Check to see if there is a grounding wire to the bridge; if the control cavity and/or routed space under the pickup has shielding paint. Not something that I'm proficient in doing (yet), but try to star-ground the wiring, maybe?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I would say that your problem could be the cheapest and most annoying.

It shouldn't take much time or effort for someone skilled to check out your wiring. If you have a couple of bills, might I suggest dropping in a few high quality pups while you are going into the guts, since you think it only 'sounds decent'.

• There is a difference between Belief and Truth.
  • Constantly searching for Truth makes your Beliefs seem believable.

wiring issues are among the easiest things to fix, IF you know what you're doing. So it might be less expensive in the long run to get an experienced tech on the case before you DIY.

A friend and I had a good conversation over a couple of beers on this topic and he relayed the story of how a warranty-covered repair job inside a Mesa Boogie head turned into a $300 repair job because the customer tried to "do it himself" and spilled solder over other working components in the process... just enough to cause transient problems... and then tried to blame it on the service center he took it to prior to visiting my friend. Since my friend knew the techs in Mesa it took about 20 minutes to unravel the real story...

Now I know what an "aggravation surcharge" is... :D

Archived