Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Covers?

h364

Hi, i've recently bought a fender jazz in black, i really like the idea of the birdge and pick up covers, im guessing they are only for looks, and dont serve any sound properties. Anyway i was wondering with a bridge cover and a pickup cover is it a pain to slap! Because if its very hard to slap the cover idea is out! Thanks guys!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The chrome covers over the pickups were originally ment to quiet the noise of the pickups. They look nice but they really hamper your playing. Most were removed, therefore you see a lot of Basses with the holes but no covers.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by h364:

...Anyway i was wondering with a bridge cover and a pickup cover is it a pain to slap! Because if its very hard to slap the cover idea is out!

Marcus Miller seems to get around well enough, but he's one of few. Maybe you can find a dealer with the MM Jazz bass in stock and see how well you can work with it.
- Matt W.

You're definitely limited if you have both covers on the bass. The guys that I do see using the covers currently will usually only use the neck pickup cover. With both covers on, I don't think you would be able to slap near the bridge. Some people slap there for that distinct tone.

But then a number of people who do slap will attack the string right near the end of the neck. They'll thump right at the end of the fingerboard, and pop just beyond that. I'm guessing that Marcus Miller and Will Lee, two high profile guys who use the neck pickup cover, are slapping like that.

The neck pickup cover is a pretty cheap part. I bought one for my 73 Jazz Bass, and it was under $30 from AllParts. I've used it from time to time, but I found that it was in the way, and I primarily play fingerstyle and with a pick. But this is about you. You might want to try an experiment before plunking down your hard earned cash on parts that you may or may not want to use. I say set up a video camera that is focused on the body of your bass. You're going to have to stand still, but play as you normally would. Try a variety of techniques, and just focus on what you're playing. Don't watch your right hand, because that's going to influence the outcome. THEN watch the tape of yourself playing, and judge where you're putting your hands. The determining factor here should be whether or not a cosmetic addition to your bass is going to affect how you play. If it doesn't impact your technique and you like the look of the covers, then go for it.

Another thing to keep in mind? The bridge cover makes string changes a little more time consuming. You've got to take the cover off and then you can change strings.

But I would always keep this in mind: almost all of the great players who have played Fender's over the years have removed the pickup covers from their Jazz basses and Precision basses. There's no arguing with that historical tidbit.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Rather than stick a sponge under my strings as a mute, i've glued one inside the bridge ashtray, which does look better. On the other hand, i tend to leave it off as i only want muted strings for some gigs. But, when i get another Fender, then one will have the mutes/bridge cover, and the other won't.
The bass player's job is to make the drummer sound good - Jack Bruce

Archived