Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz bass neck? Help!

Alfbase

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are looking for an original 70's USA Jazz bass neck, your best bet is Ebay. It will not be easy to find and it will be expensive ($600.00 to $1,000.00) you will probably be bidding against a lot of peoble. If you want a Fender Authorized neck they are readily available from AllParts, as JOSH A mentioned above, or other sources. I would be happy to give you some other manufactures if this is what you are needing.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Here are some other "Authorized" Fender Neck suppliers.

http://www.edenhaus.com/bass.htm

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/bass.cfm

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood.html

Keep in mind that the neck is the most difficult part to manufacture and on most Basses, the cost of the neck is more than the rest of the instrument combined. Buy the best you can afford.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

EBay has necks made by a company called naalox. I think they're Fender California Series, w/out tuners and a fairly good price. Sorry I can't provide a URL. Look under musical instrument parts.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I am pretty sure those are new necks from Fender's Mexico plant "Baja, California". Those are quality necks, if they are not "seconds". He sells a lot of them, I'm sure they are fine.

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

Ill give Warmoth a thumbs up. And allparts a be careful.

Did a neck replacement on my Franken-Jazz a few years back. The first was allparts and I was most displease. Really shoddy fret work.

Got rid of that and ordered a Warmoth. More cash but an exponentially better neck.

My two cents. Worth somewhat less.

I second that.

I've built basses from Warmoth parts. . .Top quality, excellent customer service. You get what you order. . .I can't recommend them highly enough.

AllParts is a great company for other parts, just not for necks. Both of the ones I had developed a somewhat distinct "twist" and were kinda "rubbery" -- the instruments I put them on never stayed in tune very well. The fret-work was "iffy", too. Their necks are reasonably-priced, they look nice in the picture in the catalog, etc., but overall, a big fat "AVOID" from me.

For $30 extra, you can get a great, basic Warmoth neck. Which includes things like a truss-rod that works, frets that are level, etc.

That's been my experience, anyhow.

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

Archived