Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Words Of Wisdom

The Bear Jew

"Musical people are so absurdly unreasonable. They always want one to be perfectly dumb at the very moment when one is longing to be absolutely deaf."

--Oscar Wilde

We need to remember this quote the next time we try to cram our newest opus down the ear canals of our friends/family/significant others.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember going on and on about some incredible special moving jaw-dropping music I was pushing (not my own, but a favorite) and seeing musician friend's eyes glaze over. I wondered "why don't they get it?"

Then people would go on and on about some music that just didn't move me at all. At some point the truth of the quote above dawned on me. It's great to offer new sounds to others, but we must temper our expectations.

Erik - did a specific incident trigger this desire to post?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I really don't have a choice anymore. The chords that they play with just don't sound right with a r00t note allot of the time. I can't play notes that don't sound pleasing to me.

I will ask about what I am playing sometimes. The best thing I can hear is, "I didn't notice". It is the best compliment that I can get if you ask me.

Is "Picuter" French, as in "peek-ou-TAY"? :P

That is a very good quote. My wife and I don't share much in the way of musical tastes and I am far more passionate about music that she is. I would do well to remember this quote when I discover a new band or a new CD has arrived.

She likes my bass playing though!

-- Joe --

"If you think you're too old, then you are." --Lemmy Kilmister

"I have not seen a man who is not god already." --Austin Osman Spare

Erik - did a specific incident trigger this desire to post?
Not exactly... I was thinking more about the way we, as musicians, tend to want other (perhaps non-musical) people in our lives to understand or hear certain nuances in music we've created or that inspires us. Oftentimes, if they care about us, they'll indulge us and listen... but they may not hear what we hear. If we're lucky, they listen and get the same kind of kick from it. But I guess I was kind of thinking it's good for us to try and remember that not everyone will hear (or care to hear) what we hear... and understand it the way we do. As much as we'd like them to hear it, the experience may just not be anywhere near as interesting or worthwhile for them.

That's when I remembered that ol' Oscar said something about this, and I thought it bore repeating.

CMDN never ceases to impress with his knowledge of show tunes, fashion, Oscar Wilde, and words like "opus" and "canal."

On an entirely unrelated point, CMDN is not gay.

Thank you, sir. I included the word "nuance" in my repy to Madball just for you.

And no, I am not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I have been training my wife (of 46 years) to really listen to music. She has always liked music but never really appreciated it. All she ever heard was the overall sound and could never listen just to the Bass or, just the Guitar or any of the other instruments individually. and now on good recordings she is learning to place the instrument on the stage and their positions. Hearing a true soundstage is mostly lost now with modern recordings but some of the old "Sheffield Lab" Direct recordings were wonderful in this respect. We have certainly left behind some great things with modern technology.

In this Old Man's personal opinion.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Archived