Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stingray HH and HS audio samples complements of BG mag

Gruuve

Hey folks:

As you probably know, you can now get Musicman Stingrays and Sterlings with 2 pickups. Bass Guitar mag reviewed them, and Ed Friedland recorded some audio samples of the different pickup combinations and posted them. Pretty awesome...here's the link:

http://www.guitarworld.com/archives/2006/06/bass_guitar_-_b.html

If you've considered buying a Stingray or Sterling, listen to the these samples and it'll help make up your mind. :love:

NOTE: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but previously I believe we've acknowledged that the Sterling and Stingray5 sound most similar, not the Stingray4 and Stingray5 as you'd expect. That was because of preamp's between the SR5 and Sterling being most similar...now, I'm not sure if that is still the case. If anyone knows for sure, please interject.

I'd love to have a 2nd pup in my SR5, but it's not worth selling my current one and buying a new one IMO. I love my 'Ray, and my only complaints have always been not quite enough versatility (needs a 2nd pickup) and it's just a little neck-heavy (I can live with that given it's sound and playability). Versatility is one of my main goals nowadays, so I'd probably play mine much more often if it had a 2nd pup and the added versatility that results from that.

Interestingly enough, in the BG review they mentioned that Ernie Ball can retrofit a 2nd pickup to an older SR or Sterling for a mere $100. I will indeed be calling to inquire about that option today. :cool:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of things to point out. Firstly as a regular contributor to the EB forum I know that they will NOT retro-fit a second pickup to an older single pickup bass. I remember this being brought up on that forum before, and though I haven't re-read the article, I seem to recall it was a statement that was taken out of context, or when read can be taken in several ways, and what was actually meant was one can buy a two pickup bass for approx. $100 more than what a single pickup bass will cost you. So save yourself a phone call to San Luis Obispo, as I'm sure the term "retro-fit" was NOT used. :)

Secondly I have recently acquired a two pickup Stingray 4 and the level of versatility compared with the single pickup model in unbelievable. I used to have a Sterling and was not overly impressed with the series/parallel switching options w.r.t. achievable tones (they were nice, but I found that once I had a setting I liked , I tended to leave it there), but I have to say when I first played the HH SR4 the switching options blew me away! All 5 settings offer wide variations in tone and I find them all usable in different situations. The audio sample links you provided are good representations, but when I actually heard them "live" they were even more pronounced. I love my HH and would highly recommend one to anyone looking for a versatile sounding bass with numerous tonal options.

Finally I believe you are correct that the SR5 and Sterling share preamp electronics, but I also know they plan to release a Sterling5 in the near future. Not much info has been released about this bass, though it's existence has been verified by Sterling Ball. One can only assume it will approximate the Sterling in shape, but seeing as the SR5 already shares preamp electronics with the Sterling, who knows what the Sterling5 will bring.

And no I am not paid to sing the praises of MM basses (though perhaps I should be)! I just know "affordable" quality when I see/hear/feel it. Do yourself a favour and play one of these new dual-pickup basses. :)

EB MusicMan SR4 (x2)

Fender 60th USA Precision

MarkBass LM II

MarkBass 151P

www.myspace.com/farcrymusic

Hmmmm...the exact quote is:

The HH and HS setups can be ordered as an upgrade on older models of either bass for $100 - a small price to pay for so much extra versatility

I certainly read that to mean that "older models" can be upgraded...however, perhaps Ed could have chosen better wording. :eek: Regardless, I've emailed MM support to inquire, and I'll post the response here.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Fair enough, I can see how that statement could be misread, but I can assure you seeing as EB MM do not even have a custom shop, there is NO WAY they would make such an offer to the public. Let alone make such radical modifications (wouldn't they need to re-route the bass body to fit the new pickup and selector switch, completely change the electronics and then refinish it) and only charge a mere $100 for the effort. Big Poppa is no financial fool, I can assure you that!

But this topic definitely came up on the EB forum when the web link you mentioned first went up (few months ago) so I already know the answer you're going to get.

EB MusicMan SR4 (x2)

MarkBass LM II

MarkBass 151P

Actually...look at the picture in my sig, for instance. No wood routing would be required to add a second pup...just switching out the pickguard. I'd give it about a 50% chance that the preamp is the same and is fed from the switching mechanism, so the switching network would have to be changed. If Ernie Ball can't do it, I'd say it's still reasonable for a custom shop (for instance) to add a 2nd pup for possibly around $100 or so, depending on how much the parts actually cost.

That said, I do believe I misintepreted Ed's quote, as obviously others have. But, I still want to see what EB says about it.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

I love my 'Ray, and my only complaints have always been not quite enough versatility (needs a 2nd pickup)

Lack of versatility is something that I've never thought about (and don't care about) with the Musicman basses. I have two of them because they sound like they sound. Period. It's like having a P bass. It sounds like a P bass and that's it.

and it's just a little neck-heavy (I can live with that given it's sound and playability).

You've obviously never owned/played a Hamer 12-string bass. I don't think either of my Musicmans are even remotely neck heavy. Neither one of them have the serious dive issues that the Hamer has.

Actually...look at the picture in my sig, for instance. No wood routing would be required to add a second pup...just switching out the pickguard.

Dave - I have a Stingray five as well. I'm pretty sure you'd have to at least rout out a cavity for the pickup to sit in, as well as a tunnel or channel for the wiring. No?
Push the button Frank.

Ken...ya know, I'm not positive, but I could take my pickguard off and see. The pickguard on an SR5 goes almost all the way up to the neck (look at the pic in my avatar), and I'm thinking that there's pretty much empty space underneath it...but I don't recall for sure, so I could well be wrong.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

OK, got an answer from Ernie Ball. LowDownDave is indeed correct...Ernie Ball does not offer any sort of upgrade option for older MM basses...the $100 is an option only for the 2nd pickup on a new bass.

I inquired as to whether they will sell the necessary parts so that a local luthier, guitar repair tech, MM owner, whatever could install the 2nd pickup as an after-market mod. The answer: they do not sell the necessary parts for this purpose. The necessary parts are of course available for warranty service or repairs, however. ;);)

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Some fellas just have to pee on the electric fence. :D (Also, consider that transparent pickguards are a frequent mod for MM basses. Under the pickguard there's wood.)

Those samples sound really, really good. I have a Sterling & I've always felt that another MM was in my future. Some day... And now that they offer a 2nd pickup--and the possibility of a Sterling 5!?!--it would be just be wrong not to GAS for another MM...

Actually...look at the picture in my sig, for instance. No wood routing would be required to add a second pup...just switching out the pickguard.

I suppose I was thinking about the "big picture", seeing as the misquote would apply to all MusicMan basses. Yes the SR5 MAY already have room to place a second pickup (I can't remember seeing as I don't own one, though I have seen a picture of one without a pickguard and I know they are routed differently compared with the 4 stringers, which is why clear pickguards don't look good on SR5s) but you WOULD have to re-route a Stingray4 or Sterling, which is why such a mod just wouldn't be financially viable.

But I see you have received the response I expected in any case. And I know they will not sell electronics separately, which is why Sterling Ball always suggests to people thinking of replacing their pickups to keep the original in case they decide to sell so it can be returned to it's original condition. Also why I've seen a few EB pickups go for quite a large sum on ebay.

If you do decide to add a second pickup to your SR5, I'd be interested to know the cost of such work. Something tells me it would probably be cheaper to just buy the bass with the pickup configuration you desire.

EB MusicMan SR4 (x2)

MarkBass LM II

MarkBass 151P

Archived