Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tom Capasso rocks !!

bassaddik

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

To clarify, I sent DBB some old material by Allan Sherman. I really love that guy - in '63 he had a song that seemed to show how a couple got married, settled down, and grew older. It was really a song about how acronyms were taking over the language (in '62 !).

Tom

Tom! Bump! Hey Kids!

The song I was pining for that Tom sent me was "No One's Perfect," a musical group that gets EVERYTHING wrong. I wanted to play it for my students.

And I did a search and GUESS WHAT! Rhino has made the entire album ("My Son, The Celebrity") available as a digital download. Here\'s the link.

For the first time in forever, we'll be able to buy "Harvey and Sheila," "No One's Perfect" and also such classics as "Let's All Call UP AT & T and Protest to the President March," a song protesting digital dialing!

I've never downloaded anything. Today is a great time to start!

OH MI GOSH! The entire Allan Sherman library is available as a 6 disc set from Rhino Handmade. On CD. Hundred and twenty bucks! And today is my birthday!!!!!!

My wife already went to work. I'll be hittin' her up for these this afternoon.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave,

Truth about Freberg. My dad had (and I inherited) an old LP of the 'Best of the Stan Freberg Show', his radio show from the late 50s. Memorized.

I recently downloaded (from an 'airchecks' Usenet group) the entire 15-episode season of the radio show (it only ran one season before being cancelled owing to sponsor problems). It's fantastic. Daws Butler (the voice of Yogi Bear, Elroy Jetson and Huckleberry Hound), June Foray (voice of Witch Hazel (bugs), Granny (Tweety and Sylvester), Nell Fenwick and Natasha Fatale and every other female part in Rocky and Bullwinkle), Peter Leeds (The Jetsons as well as hundreds of tv and movie appearances) , the Judd Conlin RhythmAires, and the great arrangements by Billy May (Glenn Miller, Les Brown, Frank (Come Fly With Me, etc), Bing, Nat Cole, Ella).

A great cast indeed!

Funnily enough, while the Stan Freberg Show had sponsor problems (due, probably, to Freberg's habit of satirizing advertising, ad-men and sponsorship ("Grey Flannel Hatful of Teenage Werewolves")), Freberg became very noticeable as a commercial spokesman. Granted, his commercials were hilarious, but it's sort of ironic - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

In fact, he once sponsored his own show. "Tonight's show is brought to you by me!", commenting further that "I paid a hundred dollars for this show!", then commenced to satirize himself!

A great talent with a unique perspective.

peace,

Tim from Jersey

(oh yeah, Tom is ok, I guess... :D )

Play. Just play.

Archived