Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New amp!! Eden CXC112

owens hound

New Amp

Im so happy to post that I got a new amp!! About 1.5 years ago or so, I bought an Eden Nemesis NC115. Although I thought it sounded really good with my Godin BG4 bass, I noticed that a lot of my lower notes were muddy and there was not a lot of definition when I played quicker passages. I have read a lot about amps and speakers on the Low Down forum and on the Eden forum and have learned a whole lot. I have read so much about 10 and 12 speakers and was looking into getting an extension speaker to go with the NC115, likely a 2x10 or 2x12. This was a bit of a problem as the NC115 was not wired for an extension speaker as an additional cab and would end up losing some power when using both. Im not sure if it was wired serial.

A local music store where I bought the NC115 had this brand new Eden CXC112 on their website and it really caught my eye. I called them on Tuesday about CXC112 and mentioned that I was interested in it and would they consider a trade. The owner and I discussed what I was thinking of trading and he suggested I bring in the gear and hed have a look at it. Needless to say, I tried out the combo at the store and fell in love! What a sound, but Ill get to that in a minute.

I ended up trading my nearly new NC115 (I havent even played out with it so it was in amazing shape and hadnt left my music room since I bought it.) I also traded a Yamaha 6 string acoustic/electric that I picked up at a pawn shop 2 years ago, and a Washburn 12 string acoustic thats bridge was lifting that I rarely played before the bridge lifted and never played after.

I feel that I got a really good deal and am so happy with the amp I can hardly stand being at work and not playing it!

Nowon to the amp; As I mentioned earlier, this is a CXC112 which is an Eden WT330 head and a 112 speaker combo. The head can be removed and used with other speakers as well. The amp is 200 watts at 8 Ohms, 330 watts at 4 Ohms and 420 watts at 2 Ohms.

Ive only played through it for an hour so Ill post back after Ive had more time to try it out but so far so good. I was able to dial in sweet tones quite quickly and am totally amazed at the clarity of the sound. The 115 was muddy while the 112 is clear. I had thought that I was a really sloppy player with the 115 but it seems that I am a somewhat sloppy player that can clean up the notes when they can be heard clearly. The CXC112 is a very clean, clear sound and this is by far the highest quality amp Ive ever had the opportunity to play through. I plan on getting an additional 112, likely the d112xlt and perhaps a d210xlt in the future if I need more volume as I can add additional speakers if required. At this point since Im not playing with a band, this amp will suit my needs very well for playing at home and recording. When I start playing out again, Ill see how loud it is and determine if I need more volume at that time. If that is the case, Ill get the additional speakers as required.

Here are a few pictures

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i153/owens_hound/DSC00894.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i153/owens_hound/DSC00890.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i153/owens_hound/DSC00892.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Getz and Alex,

I'm really looking forward to trying it out in jams, recording and practicing.

As for the weight, it is listed as 49lbs. I'm not sure about the impedance of the internal speaker. How would I find that out?

It is very tall and somewhat top heavy when moving but a lot easier to move around then the NC115 even though the NC115 is lighter, 42 lbs.

Getz, what speakers do you use with your WT330?

Jason

Mine usually ends up on top of a Bergantino HT112 and EX112. Sounds great. It was a little shy of power for the Bergantino HT322 I have, but it did well with a SWR Son of a Bertha 1x15" I had for a while. I have also tried it through an Ampeg SVT-410HE and it sounds good.

The preamp is well voiced. The compressor is nice, and I tend to leave the Enhance knob at the 9 o'clock or lower position.

With a passive bass, try using the Gain switch combined with the Warm switch. A nice littler grindy sound can be had (you can adjust the drive by using a little jeweler's screwdriver on the trimpot in the front of the amp).

It seems the internal speaker is 8 ohms, which means you can add up to 2.6 ohms of extension cabs (three 8 ohm or one 8 ohm and one 4 ohm). I'd be tempted to take advantage of the height by adding tiltback castors for more portability. And the height is obviously of benefit onstage because the speaker is closer to your ears. Looks like it would stack neatly with a 210XST, 112XLT, or NSP210 when you need to get LOUD. Or equally neatly with the beloved Bergantino HT112...

Alex

Thanks for the info Getz, it is nice to know that the head is very versatile. I'm looking forward to trying out many different speaker configurations in the future.

Alex, thanks for the speaker/ohms info as well. I was not sure how to figure out what 'ohmage' to use for best results when using extension cabs. As I can remove the head from the combo, this will also add to options for me.

The sound of the 12 so far is awesome!! I was shaking things up at home but the sound was so clean and clear that it was really defined.

Jason

No problem, Jason. It's a good amp. If you are ever so inclined, you can spend $200 to upgrade the head's power output to the WT-405 specifications. I have not found a reason to do such, but it is nice to have the option.

If you get a chance, you could check out a Bergantino EX112 or a 4-ohm Acme Low B2. That might match up really well.

Getz,

I saw that there was an upgrade for this amp. Very cool option. Do you think it would make that much volume difference? The specs for the 330 are 200/330/420 watts at 8/4/2 ohms and for the 405 250/405/620 at 8/4/2 ohms.

I can certainly see the advantage at 2 Ohms but would it make much difference at 4 or 8?

I had hoped to eventually move up to a WT550 so I don't know if the upgrade would mean that I wouldn't need to bother with the 550?

I'll also check out the cab options you mentioned.

Thanks again,

Jason

I have not done the upgrade because I do not think it would make a lot of difference, and for $200, it is not worth it for me. The thing gets plenty loud for me at 4-ohms with the Bergantino HT112 and EX112 that it is usually paired with.

The WT-330 has a completely different preamp versus the WT-550. I prefered the solid-state, simple preamp of the WT-330 versus the tube, flexible preamp of the WT-550. Personally, I have always found the tube front end of the WT series to be mushy compared to other preamps. That's just me, plenty of folks love it.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking that the upgrade might not make that much of a difference either.

As for the WT550, interesting point about the tube pre. I wasn't sure that the main difference was. I really love the clear, clean sound from the WT330 and think at this point I might also prefer it to the WT550 but would like to hear them together to compare. I guess I'll need to step up the 800b eventually.

Jason

The EQ is also voiced diffently. The rest of the WT seriess has semi-parametric plus shelving type. The WT-330 has a much simpler Bass/Mid/Treble plus Mid-Shift, Bass and Treble boost switches. A little goes a long way.

It cannot hurt to try the other amps; that's what I did when I purchased mine. I have had mine for a long while now. I think I did a review when I first purchased it.

Old Review of Eden WT-330 .

Interesting question; when I shopped for the amp, I had played the WT-330 through a 210XLT. I did not like it anywhere near as much as the Bergantino. However, your CXC112 seems to diverge significantly from the XLT line of cabinets that Eden offers. Come down to New York with your combo and we can test them out.

That would be a blast for sure. I haven't been to NY since about 2002. Loved it!! Even got to see a taping of Letterman and see the band play full songs rather then just the snippets we hear at home before commercial breaks.

It would not be in the near future due to the distance, about 10 hours drive and over 900 miles but it would be a great time. Thanks for the offer.

Jason

Archived