Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Christ, they're just hippie kids...

"Musical group Alma Melodioso, on their way from Monroe to Park City, Utah were surrounded by cops, asked harassing questions, and had their bus subjected to a search by FBI and Secret Service agents, because they had earlier asked at a gas station if there were any Olympics security checkpoints along the way." Jeez, I know Alma Melodioso, they're just a very musical bunch of hippie kids with no budget, cheap instruments and a whole lot of good will. I certainly don't blame them for asking about the security checkpoints- you can see why they might have been concerned? Yes, they seem to be the pot-smoking kind of innocent hippie kids. Really gentle, about equal between guys and gals, a lot of them young, traveling everywhere with infants and little kids. Real family types. What a way to get into the news.... http://www.counterpunch.org/shivani0807.html and here's a good one about the record industry and their accounting (you can ignore Dave Marsh when starts saying "I") http://www.counterpunch.org/marsh0808.html

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, it wasn't a drug bust or anything as far as I heard- I just meant that a cop would naturally think that. But these were apparently FBI, not cops. They wouldn't be after anybody's pipe. These kind of neotribal hippie kids get a fair amount of heat for really identifying with and appreciating the culture of the Afghanis and other world cultures. They tend to be more mutant Rastafarian than Muslim, but the art and handicrafts of those regions of the world are really coming into vogue, and Alma Melodioso's music really reflects that. Belly dancers are standard. At the Ashland community fair, where these guys were playing last around here, there were women from the local charismatic Christian group (a BOOMING congregation, ties up all the roads, nobody can go anywhere on sunday, even to other churches) protesting, dressed as "terrorists" (they were veiled in mock Afghan garb) to protest the unChristian proceedings.

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

One guy is noticeably Middle Eastern looking (I feel stupid saying that), the rest just dress that way. I don't really know what came of it all.

Archived