Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Repeat songs later in a gig

Ross Brown

I was wondering about repeating songs that are played at the beginning of the night. If we play songs in the first set, would it be in poor form to repeat some of the songs in the last set. We have 3 full sets of music ready to go.

In a bar gig, seems like the folks in the bar at the beginning of the night would be different than the folks at the end of the night... Just a thought. I was wondering if anyone did this.

On a related topic, what about repeating a song because someone requests the songs to be played again? (later in the night).

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was first caught by surprise by the thought of doing this. It was brought up by band members no longer with the band. They claimed they did it all of the time. I wasn't sure. Didn't sound too bad.

As I mentioned, we do have three full sets ready and a bunch (2 more sets) that are playable or really close. I guess it may be "cheezy" and poor form to repeat. Thanks.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I think it's ok if the house has turned over or if you get a request. In the course of 4-5 hours people come & go. Sometimes there are very few people there when you start. You might wanna try & play your least requested or least rehearsed material during the 1st set. I don't particularly like doing it, but sometimes it's gonna happen. For one thing, playing something a second time is often less than thrilling. You do what you gotta do.
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

In a bar gig, I really don't see a problem repeating the really popular songs that you do really well.

Maybe you could have two arrangements of the same song.

But, it should be after the crowd has rotated.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Once again, it's not something you aspire to do(unless you wrote the song). If you need repeat one because of a request or a hundred dollar bill, I think you should. I do not think you should repeat stuff because of lack of material. I once played a gig opening for a band called The Busboys. They were the headliners(they were in a movie or something)& the bill was for two shows in the same night. They were gonna chase everyone from the 1st show out & then open up for the second show. At the end of the 1st show it became apparent that the second show would be poorly attended. So,they just let everyone stay. We did an entirely different set, because the crowd had already seen the 1st show. The Busboys didn't grasp this fact or else didn't have any other material & proceeded to play their show note for note again. It was not only lame, it was depressing beyond belief. I can't imagine being in a band & only having 18-20 songs. Can you imagine that?
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

I think we will have plenty of material to play by the time we hit the giggin'. First scheduled date is Oct 6th. We could do it now (without repeats)but next few rehearsals will do us good. We have 3 sets. 31 songs ready to play and about 10 that are very close (one more rehearsal). More in the works. The guys I am playing with can ad songs quickly.

It is not uncommon for us to repeat two or three songs in the course of an evening... We have enough material at our disposal to cover a couple nights without repeating if we wanted to. We do not, however work off a set list. We play for the crowd, and 80% of what we do are requests. We put our song list on a little flyer (with a spot for folks to sign up for the email list) and we put'em on every table in the club. We then encourage folks to circle their requests and bring 'em up.. If we play "Brown Eyed Girl" three times in an evening, it's because someone made the request...

We are there to entertain the customers.. job 1.. If the customers are entertained, they stay and buy drinks.. That makes the club owner happy, in turn it fills our schedule.. We are usually fully booked for the following year by the end of October... tells me the system works..

I could see doing this at the request of an important fan (like a family member who made a long trip). Even at that, we'd try to avoid it. The issue is that you give the impression that you don't have enough material.

I've found the opposite problem in bars - we usually don't need the entire 3rd set.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

I've found the opposite problem in bars - we usually don't need the entire 3rd set.

Tom

:cry::D

The only way I'd consider playing a song twice on the same night would be to arrange the 2nd time into a different style of music.

-p

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

The bands I work with will repeat songs, but only if (A) it's a request, or (B) if it's a new song that someone wants to go through again. But those times are generally separated by a couple of hours. (A lot of the gigs I play will have 100% audience turnover in that length of time).

But we're whores. :cool:

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

General you don't repeat songs. However, the crowd are your end customers and it's a good idea to cater to them.

If one person asks, we generally do not play the song again unless it's a personal favor for a friend, family, or VIP. How ever, if the whole crowd is wanting to hear a certain song again, you bet your bottom dollar you'd better play it again.

I've recently had a crowd ask to hear an original song that I wrote back to back. The first time, it went over so well that people wanted to hear it again. The repsonse the 2nd time around was explosive as they really dug the song!

So you really should step back and consider the situation. Nothing is black and white, just many shades of grey.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

I have done it but don't really like to do so.

When I was with the bar band there were times when 1:30 would come around and people would still want to dance/party. After a nod from the bar owner/manager we would pick songs from the first 2 sets, introduce it as "a request for something we played earlier" and go for it. It was always well recieved.

I could expand on lazy habits and the "good enough" attitude of my fellow players in that band but, suffice it to say, I knew 100 songs - they knew 50.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I don't think its a problem to repeat some jems from the 1st set if the crowd has turned over and someone has made a request. Near the end of the night, the songs tend to come off even better as the crowd and the band has loosened up from the liquor and from the adrenaline. Just customize the 2nd version a bit.

IMO a band needs to have at least 40 solid songs minimum to start with before playing out. The goal for a cover band would be to have a base of at least 40-50 songs with a rotation of 20-30 songs, adjusting the total song list to the type of crowd and venue.

On the other hand, if you do originals and play at CBGB's for 30 minutes (or less), you don't need too many songs for these types of multi-band gigs.

"And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking" Roger Waters

I don't think repeating a couple of songs that were requested is cheesy or lame or shows upreparedness.

Now repeating a whole set probably would be...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Archived